How we are working to keep staff and students safe on our campuses from September 2020.
How will I be learning?
We’ve been delivering lectures and sessions online for some time now, and are increasing our online delivery so that more lectures can be delivered this way. Our academic staff have designed virtual sessions that will be interactive, making full use of technology to enhance the experience for everyone.
We’ll be running a blended model, meaning that your online learning will be complemented by face-to-face sessions where possible, with priority given to the use of specialist learning facilities on campus. Detail of how your course will be delivered has been communicated with you, via email or Brightspace.
We will make other on-campus facilities available, and you will be able to use the Library, the Student Centre, Open Access Centre and social learning spaces, subject to physical distancing measures to undertake group and other work.
How will BU ensure the campuses are safe?
We’re working hard over the summer to make sure both our campuses are safe spaces that make it easy for staff and students to respect physical distancing and to follow Government guidance on cleanliness. Some of the solutions we have put in place are:
- New layouts in lecture theatres, seminar rooms and specialist facilities
- One-way systems operating inside some buildings and around our campuses, with signage to help you see where you are meant to go
- We’ve timetabled courses so that physical distancing guidelines can be followed, to avoid large numbers of students being on campus at one time and having to share facilities and resources
- Screens have been installed in places where they are needed, for example at reception areas
- Hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance to every building
- All our buildings will have enhanced cleaning every day, and we are providing cleaning stations so that staff and students can clean the spaces they use before and after doing so.
How will BU make sure you have the best possible student experience?
The impact of Covid-19 is going to make things different for everybody, but we are working hard to ensure that this doesn’t negatively impact the quality of our course provision, or your student experience. We’re working closely with our students to make September 2020 as seamless as possible. To help new and returning students know what to expect at BU, we’re working on a programme of pre-arrival information and activities for you and preparing for your arrival on-campus ready to start the new semester, and we’ll continue to support you once you are here in a range of ways.
- A blended approach to learning featuring online and on-campus resources
- Innovative use of space and facilities to develop new and exciting ways of delivering services
- Online study support and a comprehensive library of digital text and resources
- Face-to-face and online student wellbeing appointments and services
- Online help and support from our AskBU and Careers & Employability Service.