Fifty BU students participated in the sixth Showcasing Undergraduate Research Excellence (SURE) conference on Wednesday 17 March.
SURE is BU’s annual conference that gives undergraduate students and recent graduates the opportunity to showcase their research. Whether a dissertation, an assignment, or work carried out whilst on placement – SURE provides the perfect opportunity to give a wider platform to student's work.
109 attendees joined the virtual conference and several prizes were awarded on the day, including faculty prizes, a sustainability prize presented by BU’s Sustainability Support Officer, Eleanor Wills and a top prize of a BU Master’s fee waiver awarded to one student for ‘Best Overall Contribution’.
Further details about the research presented on the day is available on the BU website – this page includes a full list of research abstracts as well as an introduction to nine of our participants who shared the motivations behind their work.
Prizes were awarded as follows:
Best Overall Contribution
- Tara Walker (SciTech) - Knowing me, knowing you: how educational professionals personally manage inclusion
- Jack Sykes - The Right to the City: Investigating Urban Social Movements against the Commodification of our Cities
Faculty of Marketing & Communications
- Finlay Brown - To what extent has the dissemination of an anti-elite style of populism affected public trust in a Covid-19 vaccination in the UK?
- Yana Lineva - Quarantine experience through the medium of VR collage
Faculty of Health & Social Science
- Natasha Cox - Colorectal cancer survivors’ perspectives of dietary advice: a literature review
- David Caprini-Back - Does Palliative Care education lead to a change in the attitudes and beliefs of pre-registration Physiotherapy students around Palliative Care: A systematic review
Faculty of Science & Technology
- Finley Underhill - Preventing Nuclear Disaster: A Peak Inside a Nuclear Reactor
- Ann Heim - A behavioural analytics anomaly detection system for teleworkers in the financial sector
Bournemouth University Business School
- Jana Saastamoinen - How Covid-19 has influenced business conferences in the Baltics and the Nordics
- Tom Dexter - An exploration into the cultural and political influence on the disproportionately low rates of LGBTQ participation in sport