Following feedback from students and staff, IT Services have made changes to improve the performance of shared (lab or presentation) BU Windows 10 computers. This complements the application improvements made possible through local installation of a number of applications formerly delivered via AppsAnywhere.
Through staff and student feedback the following issues were identified:
- Lengthy delays waiting for files to be available in OneDrive at logon
- Loss of files and coursework not uploaded to OneDrive before logoff
- Numerous Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) prompts
The current configuration for shared BU computers requires the users’ profile to be removed at logoff to minimise the amount of disk space being used – this is where most of these issues stem from.
IT Services will be increasing the amount of storage on shared workstation computers (for example those in Poole Gateway Building) to enable more user profiles to be stored meaning they do not need to be removed at logoff.
Please note: Profiles may still be removed periodically to ensure disks do not fill up, so there are no guarantees user profiles will remain on devices a user has previously logged in to. The storage on Open Access and Library computers will not be increased as they are not expected to be used for specialist computing.
- Quicker log-in times for staff and students who regularly use the same computer
- Files stored in OneDrive will be available to access more quickly on previously used computers
- Reduction in the loss of files – users will now have the ability to log back in to a shared computer to allow OneDrive to continue to sync if they notice files are missing
- Reduced MFA prompts on previously used computers.