A group of BU staff is hoping to set up a Repair Café for students and staff to attend and create a shared repair community. The small voluntary team is looking to expand their resources and skillset, so are looking for keen repairers to help with the project.
Repair Cafés are free meeting places and they’re all about repairing things together. You will be able to find tools and materials to help you make any repairs you need. From clothes, furniture, and electrical appliances, to bicycles, crockery, appliances, toys and more.
The team are looking for staff and students who:
- Have some spare time (maximum two hours per month) to volunteer to help prepare for and run BU Repair Cafes
- Are handy with clothing/textiles, electrical appliances, furniture/wooden objects or anything else that could be repaired
- Are keen to learn and gain these skills
- Have spare materials, such as thread, buttons, wires or plugs, that could be used to repair objects brought to the café
- Thinks this project sounds interesting and wants to get involved!
The first event takes place on Wednesday 16 November between 11am - 2pm, in the Student Centre. The team hope to run these cafes monthly. If you have any ideas or thoughts on what you’d particularly like to see or fix, please let us know.
If you are interested in being involved, please contact the BU Sustainability Team at [email protected].