The consequences of fire are potentially serious and once a fire starts, it can escalate quickly. It is important to be aware of how to prevent fire, and how to stay safe if you are alerted to or discover a fire – whether you are at home or on campus.
- Never cook when under the influence of alcohol or other substances, or if you are tired.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
If you discover a fire:
- On university campus: call BU reception at 01202 962222 from a mobile, or 222 on landline. A member of staff will alert the fire service and direct them to where they need to go.
- In university accommodation: sound the alarm using the nearest call point.
- In private accommodation, call 999.
If you are alerted to a fire:
- If you are on campus evacuate immediately and make your way to the Fire Assembly Point
- If you live in university accommodation and you hear the fire alarm; follow the relevant evacuation plan
- If you live in private accommodation and hear a smoke alarm, get out, stay out and call 999.
Dorset Fire & Rescue Service provide more safety and security information specifically for students at university on their website.