For all researchers and students:
Please complete the Programme "Ethical Research".
Within this Programme there are 2 Courses. Both online courses (including end of course quiz) should be completed:
- Becoming an Ethical Researcher (within this course there are 5 modules to complete)
- Research Ethics in Practice (within this course there are 4 modules to complete)
You will need to set up an account on the system to access. Following these steps to access the courses :
- Go to this link: https://courses.epigeum.com/
- Click on the user menu and “Register” by completing the form
- The token you should enter in the registration form is 02d34ae8 – IMPORTANT – your token is restricted to the email domain @bournemouth.ac.uk, which means you can only use this token if you register with this email domain.
- An activation link will be sent to the e-mail address you entered. You must activate the account by clicking on the activation link when you get the e-mail before you login. NOTE: If you do not receive this email, check your SPAM mail.
- Once registration is complete, you can log in by following this link: https://courses.epigeum.com/login
- Click on the Programme 'Ethical Research' to view the two courses listed above.
Research Skill Toolkit (for staff and postgraduate research students)
To access the Toolkit you'll need to use another token after you log in.
- The token is 678a512f
Through the Toolkit you'll have access to numerous online modules:
- Research Methods
- Transerable Skills
- Entrepreneurship in the Research Context
Other training opportunities for Staff and Postgraduate Research Students (PGRs):
For Staff: RKE Development Framework – Legal, BU Sponsorship & Governance Workshop – contact Organisational Development. See Research & Knowledge Exchange Development Framework Programme
For PGRs: PGR Development Workshops – contact the Doctoral College. Also through the Doctoral College:
For Staff: Doctoral Supervision
For Staff: Experienced Supervisory Development
Medical Research Council (MRC Regulatory Support Centre) has useful onlines resources available (they are free to access, all you need to do is set up a user account) see:
- Research, GDPR and confidentiality
- Good Research Practice
FutureLearn – a digital education platform owned by the Open University. They offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) that you can sign up to and work through at your own pace. There are a couple of courses which cover:
- Introduction to Research Ethics: Working with People
- Why Ethics Matter: Ethical Research
- Academic Integrity: Values, Skills, Action
NHS Digital offer free e-learning for healthcare as part of the Data Security and Protection Toolkit. All you need to do is register - https://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Register
The system holds a wide and varied catalogue of modules across a range of health conditions as well as modules on areas such as complaints handling, healthcare students, the Mental Capacity Act and data security awareness.