Faith & Reflection supports all students and can offer advice on what to be aware of if you're looking to join a religious group.
We provide a safe space if you need somewhere quiet while on campus. We run regular events where you can meet other students. Find us on the first floor of Talbot House, Talbot Campus, open between 8am-9pm from Monday to Friday, with weekend access available on request. We also have an office on Lansdowne Campus in room BG04, Bournemouth House.
Are you looking to join a religious group?
You may be asking yourself many questions.
- Looking for friendship or purpose in life?
- Want to set the world to rights?
- Hoping to get closer to God?
- Seeking to explore your inner self?
- Trying to realise your potential?
- Searching for the answers to ultimate questions?
There are guides and companions in a variety of groups who can really help you.
But beware of imitation.
There are some religious movements that promise solutions to life's difficulties but can land you with more problems than you started with.
- Some of them are dishonest or secretive about what they really are.
- Some demand much more of your time than you might have bargained for.
- Some cost you a lot of money and put you in debt.
- Some can harm your relationships with family and friends.
- Some lead you into an emotional dependence so you could find it harder to leave than to join.
Don't go away for a weekend or longer with a stranger or a strange group unless you know:
- the name of the sponsoring group
- the ideas, beliefs and affiliations
- what is going to happen at the meetings
- what will be expected of you
- that you will be free and able to leave at any time.
If in doubt, contact Faith & Reflection on 01202 965383.