Why study BA (Hons) Communication & Media at BU?
- Develop a critical understanding of the role the media plays in culture and society, ranging from the rise of the 'influencer' to the promotion of social issues
- Explore communication theories that can be applied across any media platform including narrative structures and audience theories
- Work on live briefs with local charities such as Volunteer Centre Dorset, The Pantry Partnership, GECCO – Early Years Childcare Environment and Dorset Road Safety
- Work at prestigious companies across a range of industries as placement students and graduates – including Nintendo, Adobe, Mercedes, and Walt Disney
- Publish news and features across our student platforms: Fresher Publishing and Nerve Media.
For September 2022 entry: in order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the media and communication skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree.
Enter a range of careers
On this course, you will develop an interdisciplinary, practical skillset in multimedia design and production – including audio, video, scriptwriting and online publishing. You’ll have access to industry-standard software and technical production facilities on campus, including HD TV and radio studios.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2021, September 2022
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years full-time or 4 years with a 30-week placement. Foundation Year: 4 years full-time or 5 years with a 30-week placement
All subjects considered
International entry requirements:
For September 2021 and September 2022 entry: If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in reading or writing and 5.5 in all other components, or equivalent. For more information check out our international entry requirements.