Clearing 2021: This course (including the Foundation Year option) is now full for September 2021 entry. You may still apply, but your application will be held on a waiting list. We’ll contact you if a space becomes available and your application is being considered. Call us on +44 (0)1202 966777 or apply online. You can also explore our other Health & Social Care vacancies in Clearing.
Why study Operating Department Practice at BU?
- ODPs work with surgeons, anaesthetists and other healthcare professions to ensure every operation is as safe and effective as possible, to save or improve patients’ lives
- Preparing you for placement and beyond, our newly built facilities include a operating theatre simulation suite with highly accurate and life-like manikins
- Get hands-on experience working in surgical theatres with multiple and varied practical work placements that make up just over 50% of your time on the course
- You will be taught by actively practicing lecturers or those with perioperative experience
- Placements are diverse and career options are too: you could work in pre-assessment, intensive care, A&E, patient transfer teams and other more specialised areas of care.
Funding support: ODP students may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year. Find out more information about the funding. Please note that this funding is not eligible for students on the Foundation Year, however you will be able to access it once you complete the foundation year and move onto the degree.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the scientific skills needed to prepare you for the ODP degree, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. The Foundation Year is based at our Talbot Campus. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree and begin your ODP study.
This three-year course is approved by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) meaning that, upon successful completion of the programme, you will be eligible to apply to the Health & Care Professions Council for registration as an Operating Department Practitioner. Please note that the Foundation Year part of the course is not approved by the HCPC.
See more of our facilities and the course
Next start date:
September 2021, September 2022
Bournemouth University, Lansdowne Campus. Foundation Year: Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus.
3 years, including mandatory placements or 4 years with the Foundation Year (1 year, followed by 3 years including mandatory placements)
All subjects considered
For September 2021 and September 2022 entry: 104 - 120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. Foundation Year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points. For more information check out our full entry requirements.