Why study MA Scriptwriting at BU?
- Develop your ideas from concept to industry-standard final draft, develop your own voice, learn how to critique others work and make industry contacts to pitch for employment
- See your scripts come to life and contribute to others’ productions by working collaboratively with students across the framework
- This intense course allows you the opportunity to work both in teams in addition to producing individual writing pieces
- Become a writer with a distinctive authorial voice with an industry-standard portfolio, writing in a range of formats and genres and a robust attitude to collaboration and development
- All of our teaching staff have worked on Film, Television and multiplatform projects from BBC 1 and Channel 4 through to LEGO’s Character & Story division
- Benefit from regular industry guest speakers and alumni.
For September 2022 entry: in order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page in April 2022 to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
The MA Scriptwriting course offers you the option to study full-time, either in person or online. Lectures and online resources are combined with weekly small-group seminars and workshops to explore concepts and ideas, as well as develop your own and each other’s work in depth. If you are an online student, all your classes will take place virtually – bringing together a diverse cohort of students from all over the world and engaging with narrative theory and industry practices at the widest level.
Graduate with an accredited degree
Graduate from an International Moving Image Society (IMIS) accredited degree, awarded to practice-based courses that best prepare students for a career in the industry.
See what it's like to study on this course
Next start date:
September 2022, September 2023
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus or distance learning
1 year full-time
International Moving Image Society (IMIS)
A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2 in any subject, or equivalent
International entry requirements:
If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component. For more information check out our full entry requirements.