We try to make it easy for you to find out about us and the information we hold about you. We do this by publishing routine information about the University that might be useful to our staff, students, suppliers and the public. We also have procedures in place to process requests for other information, including requests for your own information.

Select the relevant link in the sections below to find out more about how you are able to access the information you need.

Information we routinely publish

For details of the types of information the University and its wholly owned subsidiaries routinely publish please visit the section setting out details of our Publication Scheme.

Accessing other information about us

Find out how to request information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.

Information about you

Requests for the information we hold about you should be sent to the Information Office and will be processed under the University’s subject access process.

Routine enquiries from students

Routine enquiries from prospective students should be directed to our Future Students Enquiry Team.

Routine queries from our current students should be sent to our askBU Students Team.

Contact details for both teams are available on our contacts page.

Replacement documents for students

Students seeking replacements of official documents such as ID cards, award certificates, transcripts and syllabus should follow the process set out on our replacement documents page.


If we agree that we hold specific information, but refuse to provide you with that information, you may appeal. Appeals should be sent to the Information Office and will be reviewed by a different member of staff who may amend the University’s initial decision.

If following a review we still refuse to supply the requested information, you can appeal to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Insurance Claims Guidance – Claims Portal

If a claim is being made for personal injury through a solicitor, your solicitor will need to know that for claims made via the "Claims Portal" Bournemouth University and its subsidiaries are insured by:

U M Association Ltd.

Our claims portal reference is UM044/99.

To avoid confusion and delays, users of the claims portal should enter the compensator's name in full and include the spaces after the U and M so the online system is able to correctly identify the compensator.