We offer removal and relocation expenses to ease the transition of moving to a new area and to help you to settle in to your new role within the university. All members of staff are expected to live in a location compatible with the fulfilment of their duties.

The University provides support with relocation through the Relocation Policy, the provisions of which are set out in brief below:

Relocation may be claimed by new employees, who:

  • Accept a position for two years duration or more, which is university-funded;
  • Accept a position that has been advertised nationally (this includes the university website and jobs.ac.uk);
  • At the time of appointment (e.g. date of letter of appointment), live outside a radius of 30 miles from their new place of work and who move within this distance to take up the post.

If you meet the three bullet points outlined above and are a homeowner selling a property; the University will normally reimburse costs for academic posts normally at Grade 7 or above and Professional and Support posts at Grade 9 or above, normally £3,000. This allowance may be used to offset the following:

  • the cost of removal of personal effects, i.e. moving furniture, books and other belongings;
  • the cost of storage (where it is not possible for the employee to move immediately into their new home);
  • legal and estate agent fees connected with the sale and purchase of residence;
  • survey fees on the property which is purchased;
  • 50% of the allocated allowance may be used to offset temporary accommodation costs (up to a maximum of £600 per month) if you temporarily maintain 2 homes after taking up an appointment at the University.

Financial assistance will not be granted towards the purchase of a second property in addition to the family home.

If you meet the three bullet points outlined above and are a homeowner but not selling your property, or are not a homeowner, you can claim expenses for removal of your personal effects only i.e. moving furniture, books and other belongings to the UK.  If you are moving from overseas the University will reimburse up to a maximum of £1,200, this may include one adult economy fare from the appointee's place of residence.

A copy of BU’s relocation policy providing full details will be provided to you as part of your offer pack.