As part of the PIER partnership’s work to embed service user and carer perspectives into health and social care education, we have created and collated a number of resources, including academic and research-based publications, videos and audio recordings for use in Higher Education and in practice. Some have been created by the PIER partnership in collaboration with service users, researchers, educators and practice partners. Others have been created within BU or sourced locally, regionally and nationally and are available for you to use to help inform health and social care education and practice.
If you have any feedback on these resources, or would like to suggest any additions to our growing bank of resources, please get in touch - we are always interested to receive feedback on these, and are hapy to have a discussion with you about your particular area of interest.
- Warren, A, Hughes, M., Fry, J., Cescutti-Butler, L., 2017 Involvement in midwifery education and research: experience from a carer and service user partnership. British Journal of Midwifery Aug 2017, vol 25, no 8 pp524-530
- Hughes, M., McKay, J., Warren, A., Atkins, P., Ryden, J 2017 Chief cook and bottle washer: life as an older male carer. Journal of Community Nursing. July 2017
- Hughes, M 2016a. What Difference Does it Make? Findings of an impact study of service user and carer involvement in social work students’ subsequent practice, Journal of Social Work Education. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/qeHqywW5IgE6IFsfMred/full
- Hughes, M. 2013. Enabling learners to think for themselves: Reflections on a community placement. International Journal of Social Work Education, 32(2), 213-229. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02615479.2012.734803
- Warren, A., Calvin Thomas, G., Keen, S., Rutter, L., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2010. 'They've got it!' Social work students' understanding of service user and carer perspectives. Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work, 10 (1), pp. 45-58
- Mel Hughes (2013): Enabling Learners to Think for Themselves: Reflections on a Community Placement, Social Work Education: The International Journal, 32:2, 213-229.
- Brown, K., Atkins, P., Warren, A., Bates, N., Keen, S. and Fenge, L.-A., 2008. Developing the active and informed participation of people who use services and carers in the design, delivery and assessment of learning and development provision for the social care workforce in the Skills for Care South West region. Project Report. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Warren, A. (2007) Opportunities for involvement Evaluation Report: Bournemouth University
- Hutchings, M., Galvin, K. T., Todres, L., Quinney, A., Pulman, A., Atkins, P. and Gentle, P., 2011. Transformational change through lifeworld-led multimedia VLE engagement. Embedding Work-with-IT Final Report for JISC/SEDA. Project Report. JISC/SEDA.
Conference or workshop items
- Involve Conference, London, 28th November 2017
Title: Building on a partnership’s experiences from coordinating involvement in health and social care education to developing user-led research: lessons learnt
- Mel Hughes, Angela Warren, Peter Atkins
Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Bournemouth University, UK
PIER (Public Involvement in Education and Research) partnership, Bournemouth University, UK
- Building research Partnerships, NIHR and CRN Wessex, 15th September 2017
Title: Recruiting and supporting participants to engage in meaningful patient and public involvement
Mel Hughes and Angela Warren
BU PIER Partnership, Bournemouth University
- Humanisation conference, Bournemouth University, 29-30 June 2017
Title: The older male carers research project
Dr Mel Hughes (presenter)
Co-authors: Jacob McKay, final year MA social work student and student research assistant, Pete Atkins and Angela Warren, PIER Partnership coordinators, Bournemouth and Poole Carers Centre and Dorset Healthwatch
- Challenges and best practice in co-production conference, Sheffiled University, 18th May 2016
Title: Taking a life of its own: Reflections on co-production with a theatre company and film makers
- Brown, K. and Warren, A., 2009. Innovations in Participation. In: International New Types of Worker in Health and Social Care Conference, 22-23 January 2009, Renaissance Hotel, Heathrow, London. (Unpublished)
- Service User & Carer Involvement in HE Conference Report, October 2015 (pdf 1.2mb).
- Hughes, M and Warren, A 2017 Use of simulation as a tool for preparing students for the realities and complexities of the workplace. Book chapter in: Morley, D (ed) 2016 Enhancing employability in higher education through work based learning – case studies from UK universities. Publication 2019
- Brown, K., Keen, S., Rutter, L. and Warren, A., 2010. Partnerships, continuing professional development (CPD) and the accreditation of prior learning (APL): supporting workforce development across the social care sector. 2nd Edition. Birmingham: Learn to Care.