Just over a week ago we worked with the Fire Service to develop a potential real-life scenario to test our systems, staff and students.
That’s why, if you live in BU halls at the Lansdowne Campus, you may have noticed some smoke coming from the top of the emergency stairwell of Cranborne House early on Monday 12 October.
Chris Hewitt, BU’s Fire Safety Officer said “the exercise went well, the main thing we noticed is that not enough people know to call 222 – or 01202 962222 - in an emergency situation.
Calling 999 isn’t a bad thing, but with a campus spread across two sites and many different buildings, emergency services don’t always know where to head for. By calling 222, we know that there is an emergency on site and our teams can ensure emergency services are directed to the right location, quickly and easily”.
Here are 10 top ten tips for staying fire safe at uni:
- Save 01202 962222 to your mobile phone so you always have it close to hand
- Don’t tamper with or move fire extinguishers, smoke detectors or sounders
- In the event of a fire alarm sounding, evacuate the building as quickly as possible and only re-enter upon the instruction of the Fire Marshal or the Fire Service
- Keep fire doors closed fire doors closed and keep them clear
- Don’t overload plug sockets or extension cables
- Always stay in the kitchen when you are cooking – this includes use of microwaves and toasters
- Do not use candles in any circumstances
- Keep anything that can burn away from heating equipment
- Make sure you know the fire escape route from your room
- Remember to stay fire safe for yourself and others - if you see someone else not being fire safe, say something.
Visit our website for more information about staying fire safe, safety and personal security and reporting accidents or incidents.