If you want to start cycling to university or exploring the local area but you don't have a bike, BU Bike Scheme could be of interest to you. The scheme will not only save you a lot of money on your travel costs but it will also cut your carbon footprint and improve your fitness.
BU is working in partnership with Hope 2 Cycle to make cycling at BU more accessible to both students and staff. This fantastic initiative will enable you to give cycle commuting a try without the expense of buying a bike. Bikes can be loaned for a term or an entire academic year.
The cost of subscribing to the BU by Bike scheme is £25 per academic term, or £40 per academic year. A £30 deposit is required and will be fully refunded if your bike is returned on time and in good condition (see the terms and conditions).
By subscribing to the scheme you will receive the following benefits:
- Access to a fully refurbished bicycle for use while you are a student or member of staff at BU (Chartwells, SUBU or Interserve), and a D lock
- A regular free bike check for the period of use
- No labour costs to any repairs needed during your hire period - you will only have to pay for parts
- Support and advice from the Hope 2 Cycle team for the period of use
- Subsidised cost of a helmet and bike lights
- Subsidised flourescent jackets to support safety on the road.
This initiative is likely to be popular; in order to manage demand there will be a limited number of bikes available each week and the scheme will be operated on a first come, first served basis.
If you are interested in the scheme, please contact Hope 2 Cycle by calling 07530 968506 or popping into the Hope 2 Cycle shop, 878 Wimborne Road, Bournemouth, BH9 2DR. You will need to have your current BU student/staff card when you sign up.
For further information, please e-mail the Travel Plan Group.
For more fantastic cycling offers and updates about cycling at BU why not join the BU Bicycle Users Group.