Cycling is a simple, cost effective way to travel whilst simultaneously keeping fit and helping the environment. At Bournemouth University, we want to encourage and support active travel in as many ways as possible and have some great initiatives and incentives in place to get you out and about, cycling for leisure or as part of your commute.
Outlined below are all the great ways we aim to help you get on your bike, so why not take advantage of some of these offers and give cycling a go!
Bring your Bike to Bournemouth
Dorset is a great place to explore by bike! Located between the New Forest and the Purbecks, and with miles of stunning promenade, you can use your bike to reach stunning locations across Bournemouth, Poole and beyond.
If you have a bike at home, then why not bring it with you to Bournemouth and take advantage of the great facilities offered at BU? Cyclists can get free access to:
- Secure cycle compounds
- Shower facilities & changing rooms
- Active Travel dedicated lockers
- Free bike maintenance with the Bike Doctor.
See the dedicated Cycle Facilities & Security pages for more details on keeping your bike safe.
No bike? No problem!
If you don’t have a bike or can’t bring yours to Bournemouth, there are lots of cost effective options which will allow you to still enjoy cycling. Some of the great ways we can help you include:
- BU by Bike Scheme – Short or Long Term bike loans at low prices provided by Hope2Cycle
- Beryl Bike Share Scheme – A bike share scheme available across Bournemouth & Poole allowing access to ‘pay as you go’ cycling
- New Forest Bike Project – NFBP are a local company who recycle unwanted bikes and redistribute them across the community. BU work closely with NFBP by donating abandoned bikes from across our campuses which are then refurbished and brought back during our cycling events for students to purchase at low prices
How can BU support you to cycle?
Here at BU, cycling is an important part of our Travel Plan. As well as all the facilities already mentioned, here are some additional services we offer to help make cycling accessible to everyone:
- Student discounts for bikes and equipment
- Bike Ability Cycle Training
- Free Bike Lights & High Visibility equipment available at our on-campus events
- Subsidised D Locks from the SUBU campus shops
- Cycling events on campus
- Active Travel Map
- And you can find more routes, events and inspiration on our Exploring Dorset page
For more information on Cycling contact the TPlanGroup@bournemouth.ac.uk.