To travel between our Talbot and Lansdowne campuses, we have an arrangement with morebus enabling you to use specially provided UNIBUS services.
- If you're a continuing student and already have a key card from the previous academic year, you can continue to use it
- If you're a new student, who opted for a key card when you booked your accommodation, this will be provided to you by Residential Services with your accommodation keys.
During term time, buses are available at least every 10 minutes during peak periods. Full details of the timetables can be found on the UNIBUS website.
The U1 bus service operates during university vacation times, running between the Lansdowne Campus, Dorchester House and the Talbot Campus up to every 15 minutes.
Find out more
How to pay for bus travel
You can pay for bus travel online using the key smartcard system. This makes paying for bus travel in and around BU easier. Instead of buying a paper ticket from the driver each time you travel, you load tickets on to your 'key' online. The benefits of using the key card, rather than cash, include cheaper fares, convenience, security, less waste and faster boarding times.
To register for a Key card visit the UNIBUS website. Once you have registered your details online, your key card will be sent to either the Lansdowne Campus (Studland House reception) or the Talbot Campus (Poole House Reception).
If you're a continuing student and already have a key card from your previous academic year, please remember to reuse it. You can add another ten single multi-trip ticket or annual pass to an existing key card at any time – for annual passes simply choose your start date. To top up your card, visit the UNIBUS website.
Key cards can be used on the U1, U2, U3 and U4 buses for BU services, as well as all services operating within the morebus Zone A network.
All UNIBUS and morebus passengers can pay for fares using contactless card payments to help speed up boarding and journey times.
Which products are available on your Key?
UNIBUS Annual period pass priced at £250
Unlimited travel on all UNIBUS services and morebus Zone A network.
UNIBUS multi-trip £10 top up
A significantly cheaper way of buying single journeys – each time you put your key on the reader on the bus, one journey is deducted.
Cash fares are available on the bus from the driver
Singles are £1.50, returns £2.50.
- Students can save 10% on their bus travel in morebus zones AB & ABC. The discount is available online - just use the code SUM85R at: morebus.thekey.co.uk/smart-card/
- Child fares are available on all other morebus routes at any time by showing your student ID card to the driver. Separate fares apply on night buses.
- You can use the 17 service with a UNIBUS key card as well as all other morebus zone A network services
- You can also buy an annual pass which gives you all the dedicated UNIBUS services and the entire morebus zone A network.
Free Wi-Fi is available on all BU branded buses. All you need to do is connect to UNIBUS Wi-Fi.
Please read the Wi-Fi terms and conditions.
Yellow Buses discounts
BU students can benefit from the following discounts on Yellow Buses (you'll need to show your BU student ID) :
- 10% discount off all Yellow Bus period passes - from the Yellow Bus Travel Shop, Bournemouth Square (opposite Boots), BH2 5SL
- a reduced fare when purchasing single or return fares on the bus
- a discounted annual pass for all Yellow Bus routes.
You can also buy tickets and passes online via the Yellow Buses Move app.
Yellow Buses visit Talbot Campus the on first Tuesday of each month and Lansdowne Campus on the second Tuesday of each month to promote their services and exclusive BU student offers.
Complimentary bus travel for Lansdowne students
If you study at Lansdowne try out the free bus travel to Talbot Campus on Wednesday afternoons during term time.
Running throughout term time, this is a joint initiative launched by BU and SUBU to enable Lansdowne students to get more involved in the activities happening at Talbot Campus.
Details of other bus routes can be found on the morebus and Yellow Buses websites. For more details, please see the UNIBUS timetable.
If you have any questions, please email the Travel Plan Group.