Why study BA (Hons) Criminology with Law at BU?
- Enrich your learning of criminology by studying law as a complementary subject. Investigate law-breaking and the construction of legal systems, criminal law and legal evidence, along with the often-emotive issues surrounding crime, punishment and justice
- Studying criminology gives you a deep understanding of crime which complements and contextualises legal study – useful for those looking to work in the criminal justice system and other related services
- Learn from research-active social scientists in fields including society and social formation, social anthropology, criminology, cultural diversity and social welfare
- Choose from either a 30-week ‘sandwich’ placement or a shorter four-week placement to provide you with important work experience
- Develop your own piece of research based on a topic that interests you, or aligns itself with your future career or study plans, in your final year dissertation.
- This course is ranked 14th in its subject area according to the 2022 Guardian League Tables. You’ll be career-ready with 85% of our graduates in employment or further study after 15 months.
Foundation year: We have a foundation year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree.
What can you achieve with this degree?
A broad knowledge of the law and legal systems is particularly valuable for careers within the criminal justice system, or related sectors, such as policing, prisons and probation services. It also presents postgraduate study options, including our Graduate Diploma in Law/Common Professional Examination, or postgraduate research.
Next start date:
September 2022, September 2023
3 years full-time or 4 years full-time with a 30-week work placement. Foundation year: 4 years full-time or 5 years full-time with a 30-week work placement
All subjects considered
For September 2022 entry: 104 – 120 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. Foundation year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points. For more information check out our full entry requirements.