Why study BA (Hons) Film at BU?
- Study a variety of aspects of filmmaking such as distribution, marketing, buying, fundraising and film production, through a combination of practical and theoretical approaches
- Access industry standard digital film cameras, editing programmes and audio equipment throughout your degree
- Work alongside internationally recognised film lecturers and practitioners
- Choose optional modules to specialise in a particular area of interest to match your career ambitions
- Make invaluable industry connections during an optional 30-week work placement with organisations such as The Walt Disney Company, Signal Productions, NorthLight Media and Curtain Calls Production.
- Within 15 months of completing their course, 90% of our students were employed or in further study. Many companies and productions have trainee roles suitable for holders of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Starting roles in production include Edit Assistant, Post-production Runner, Camera Assistant or Sound Assistant (ScreenSkills)
Foundation year: We have a foundation year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the media & communication skills required for this course, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the foundation year, you will progress to the full degree.
For September 2024 entry: in order to take advantage of new approaches to learning and teaching, as well as developments in industry to benefit our students we regularly review all of our courses. This course is currently going through this process and we will update this page in September 2023 to give you full information about what we will be offering once the review process has concluded.
The International Moving Image Society is a highly respected professional body, uniquely placed to assure, encourage and support industry relevance in media production courses. All of our courses within the Media Production Department have received accreditation in recognition of their industry-standard teaching.
See the course in action
Next start date:
September 2023, September 2024
Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus
3 years full-time with an optional 20 day placement, or 4 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement. Foundation year: 4 years full-time with an optional 20 day placement, or 5 years full-time with a minimum 30-week placement
International Moving Image Society
All subjects considered
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: 104 - 120 UCAS tariff points including a minimum of 2 A-levels or equivalent. BTEC Extended Diploma: DMM. Foundation year: 48-72 UCAS tariff points.For more information check out our full entry requirements.
International entry requirements:
For September 2023 and September 2024 entry: If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with minimum 5.5 in each component or equivalent. For more information check out our International entry requirements.