The Centre for Excellence in Media Practice (CEMP) is a research centre based in the Faculty of Media and Communication at Bournemouth University. It was awarded Centre of Excellence status in 2004 by the Higher Education Funding Council (now Research England) as the only HEFCE-funded Centre for excellence in media education in the UK.
CEMP delivers research projects funded by media organisations, charities, research councils, government departments and the private sector. Our research investigates digital and media literacies and media education, journalism education, civic media and creative media practice. CEMP convenes the annual International Media Education Summit and two journals are edited in the centre, Media Practice and Education and the Media Education Research Journal.
The CEMP team consists of Bournemouth University academics and doctoral students, working with an active team of Visiting Professors and Visiting Fellows.
CEMP runs a professional doctorate programme for media, creative arts and technology educators and practitioners. Members of the centre and our doctoral researchers publish widely in journals, books and edited collections.
In addition to CEMP’s established Ed D programme, members of the centre are interested in proposals for PhD projects in the fields of:
- media education;
- media, digital and visual literacies;
- youth culture, civic engagement;
- social movement media,
- data storytelling;
- ethnographies of education and ethnographic media;
- media and technology for social development;
- journalism education and news literacy,
- representations of teaching and learning (mediated pedagogies);
- radical and critical media pedagogies;
- media education and literacy policy;
- arts and media-based educational research;
- creativity in education;
- media stereotypes, stigma and marginalisation, film practice, representation, cognitive media theory, technology-enhanced learning;
- mixed, augmented and virtual realities;
- media student experience;
- sustainability, relational approaches and relationship marketing in media education.
To express an interest in studying for a PhD in these or related areas, contact email@example.com.