The Student Medical Centre offers a variety of services that can help you with health related issues, including;
- general medical care
- family planning (including routine and emergency contraception - see below)
- immunisations - inc. meningitis
- asthma clinic
- diabetic checks
- cervical smears within the national programme
- sport medicals & treatment of sports injuries
- travel advice
- removal of sutures
- first aid/dressings
- BUNAC medicals.
The following services are offered by the Talbot Medical Centre:
- Yellow Fever vaccinations
- minor surgery
- COPD clinic
- blood tests.
Contraceptive advice and sexual health
All staff are Family Planning trained and can offer a range of contraceptive services and advice. Please try and plan your contraception, but in case of emergency, we can prescribe the morning after pill, which needs to be taken within 72 hours of sexual intercourse. Please contact the Medical Centre at the next available opening time for an emergency appointment with the nurse.
If you'd like to talk through your contraception options please make an appointment with the doctor. Following this, if there are no problems, please make an appointment with the nurse for further checks. Please inform the receptionist of the pill you are taking and we will be able to have your prescription waiting for you.
Continuity of care
If you have an ongoing problem, it is advisable to book to see the same doctor for review (unless there is an emergency). In this way, you can work as a team with the doctor and formulate a plan for your management. The reception staff will not automatically know whom you saw, so we rely on your help with the continuity of your care.
Our medical team
At the Student Medical Centre you will find a hard working and committed team dedicated to keeping you healthy. We have several doctors as well as a nurse practitioner:
- Dr Alexandra Broadhead - MRCGP MBBS (London) BSc
- Dr Nicholas Aldred - MB, Bchir, MA (Cantab), MSci, MRCP (UK)
- Dr Jeremy Shott - BM, BMedSci, DGM, MRCGP
- Dr Helen Billington - MBSS, MRCGP
- Dr Elizabeth Craig - MBBS DRCOG FP Cert Reg 1985 London
- Dr Simon Flack - BSc MBBS MRCP MRCGP DOcc Med FP Cert Reg 1987 London
- Dr Tom Caudell - BM, MRCGP Reg 2003 Southampton
- Dr Rachel Robinson - BM MRCGP DRCOG DFFP Reg 2003 Southampton
- Dr Louise Parkin - BM MRCGP FP Cert Reg 1990 Southampton
- Dr Heather Sherwood - MB BS, MRCP, MRCGP, DFSRH Reg 1991 UCH, London
- Dr Richard J L Holmes - BM, BSc (Hons), MRCP (UK), MRCGP, FP Cert. Reg 1995 Southampton
- Matthew Collis - Nurse Practitioner
Our nurse practitioner, Matthew, works Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 9am - 11.30am. He can prescribe certain medication and is able to refer patients to hospital for specialist treatment if required.
Like all our services at BU, we strive to ensure our medical provision is constantly being updated and improved. We take any comments seriously and you are free to talk to any doctor or member of staff if you feel a matter could have been dealt with more appropriately.
If you feel you have a complaint, there is an in-house complaints procedure you can use. We will investigate your complaint thoroughly, explain what has happened and resolve the issue. Download the Medical Centre complaints leaflet.
For more information please call the Student Medical Centre on the Talbot Campus on 01202 965378.
Sign up for our Patient Group
We would like to know how we can improve our service to you and how you perceive our surgery and staff.
To help us with this, we have set up a virtual patient representation group so that you can have your say. We'll ask the members of this representative group to assist us with a questionnaire from time to time, such as what you think about our opening times or the quality of the care or service you received. We'll contact you occasionally via email and keep our surveys succinct so it shouldn't take too much of your time. We aim to gather around as broad a spectrum as possible to get a truly representative sample. Find out more about the Patient Group and how to sign up.