Monday to Friday, between 9am to 4pm.
Closed from 12pm on Wednesdays.
Please note: The deadline to register for ALS support for the May exams, is Thursday 24 March 2022. Please see the Exam support section below for full details.
The Additional Learning Support Team (ALS) is available to all BU students throughout their time at university.
The team is here to support students who have sensory/physical disabilities, Specific learning differences (SpLDs), medical conditions, mental health difficulties and/or temporary injuries.
The team can support by:
- Offering information, advice and guidance for disability-related concerns
- Arranging screenings and Educational Psychology Assessments for dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADD
- Enabling students to learn specific skills and strategies that will enhance academic study
- Helping students develop employability skills needed during placements and beyond graduation
- Assisting with applications for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
- Providing support to enable independent learning through one-to-ones or workshops
- Exam access arrangements
- Advising the faculties on reasonable adjustments that could be arranged so that disabled students are not disadvantaged
- Advising on support for students on Apprenticeship courses.
However, the team are not able to:
- Give information about individual degree courses
- Send out exam timetables
- Deal with course funding
- Provide personal care
- Order DSA equipment
- Provide subject-specific support
- Proofread work - but we can teach proofreading strategies.
If you are likely to need support, please contact the ALS team as soon as possible so reasonable adjustments and one-to-one support can be tailored to your individual needs.
The variety of support you may be entitled to will vary depending on many factors. For more information, read our frequently asked questions below, or contact the team direct.