We’re still here for you. During the Coronavirus pandemic, our offices are closed but we are available on email firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday to Friday, between 9am – 4pm. Closed from 12pm on Wednesdays. The latest information from BU can be found in our Coronavirus FAQs.
The Additional Learning Support Team (ALS) is available to all BU students throughout their time at the university.
If you are likely to need support please make contact with ALS as soon as possible as reasonable adjustments and one-to-one support are tailored to individual needs. The variety of support you may be entitled to will vary depending on many factors. Read our FAQs for more information or contact the team direct:
We're open from 9am - 4pm, Monday to Friday (closed from 12pm Wednesdays).
You can contact the ALS team via email email@example.com or phone on 01202 965663.
We support students who have:
- Sensory/physical disabilities
- Specific learning differences (SpLDs)
- Medical conditions
- Mental health difficulties
- Temporary injuries.
Among the support we offer is:
- Information, advice and guidance for disability-related concerns
- Arranging screenings and Educational Psychology Assessments for dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADD
- Enabling students to learn specific skills and strategies that will enhance academic study
- Helping students develop employability skills needed during placements and beyond graduation
- Assisting with applications for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
- Providing support to enable independent learning through one-to-ones or workshops
- Exam access arrangements
- Advising the faculties on reasonable adjustments that could be arranged so that disabled students are not disadvantaged.
However, we cannot:
- Give information about individual degree courses
- Send out exam timetables
- Deal with course funding
- Provide personal care
- Order DSA equipment
- Provide subject specific support
- Proofread work - but we can teach proofreading strategies.
If you think that you might need support during exams you will need to register with ALS through MyHub to ensure that any requirements can be put in place during the examination periods. Your application must be properly documented by medical or other evidence and submitted to MyHub or directly to the ALS Student Coordinator as early as possible in the academic year:
- Deadline for summer exams: Friday 27 March 2020
Important: Please be aware that it may take up to nine weeks to get the necessary evidence for exam support, so allow plenty of time when applying.
British Sign Language explained student finance films
Student Finance England have produced a series of British Sign Language explained films for students who are thinking about going to university or college. Including how and when you need apply, who is eligible for student finance, what evidence you need to submit and what extra help is available. If you are thinking about starting a postgraduate Master’s course then the postgraduate loans’ films will give you further information. Visit the SFE YouTube channel to find out more.