The following official documents provide written evidence of your academic studies at BU and you will need them in the future when applying for jobs, visa requirements and further study.

Make sure you keep your contact details up to date so we can send your documents to you.

If you have any questions about what type of document you need and cannot find the answer below, please contact AskBU.

Results letter and summary

Each year following your Assessment Board your faculty will send you a letter and summary of your results via email. You can check the terminology definitions on our Assessment FAQs page.

Official transcripts

If you would like to receive an official transcript which includes a signature and seal of the University, please visit our transcript request web pages.

If you are a current or recently withdrawn student requesting a transcript to support your transfer to another institution, please contact AskBU instead.

Award certificate

Your certificate will confirm what award you have been given and when you achieved this. It contains the seal and signature of the University and is a legal document.

When you have concluded your studies at BU and received an award, you will be eligible to attend our annual award ceremonies to receive your certificate. If you do not attend the ceremony you should register to have your certificate posted to you following the ceremonies.

If your award ceremony has already taken place and you did not attend the ceremony, or register to have your certificate sent out, we will not automatically issue it and you will need to contact us.

Diploma supplement

The diploma supplement is a two page document issued with your certificate. It describes the qualification undertaken, outlines the programme content and provides a full transcript of your performance.

It provides additional information to that included on your award certificate and transcript, making it more easily understood by employers or institutions outside the UK.

The diploma supplement contains the seal and signature of the University and is an official document of the University.

Document orders

You should keep all of these documents in a safe place, but should you need a replacement certificate or an official transcript you can find further details on how to request these on the BU Replacement Document Online Form.