We take our responsibilities for academic quality assurance very seriously and do everything we can to support educational development and implement academic regulations, policies and procedures that ensure the maintenance of academic standards and that we are providing students with the best available learning opportunities.
Our quality assurance and enhancement framework has been informed by the UK Quality Code for Higher Education, which was developed by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) on behalf of the UK Standing Committee for Quality Assessment, in consultation with the higher education sector.
Bournemouth University was the first English university to be commended for the quality of its student learning opportunities by the QAA for Higher Education.
Read the details of the QAA’s reviews of Bournemouth University.
Quality and standards
We have a dedicated team - the Academic Quality team - which is responsible for maintaining the policies, procedures and processes that assure high standards across our academic programmes.
- Developing policies and procedures for the design, delivery, assessment and monitoring of our academic programmes to assure standards and enhance the quality of provision
- Supporting faculties and partners through the process of programme approval and review, programme modifications, annual academic monitoring, and partnership approvals and reviews
- Processing appeals and academic complaints at the Central Review Stage and managing the process for University-level Academic Offences Boards
- Servicing University Committees, including the Senate and Academic Standards and Education Committee (ASEC)
- Managing and overseeing the republication of the university's Academic Regulations, Policies and Procedures
- Supporting and co-ordinating the University’s work on access and participation
- Managing the university's engagements with external quality assurance bodies.
External examiners have a vital role in terms of helping us maintain our high academic standards and programme quality through the sharing of expertise and good practice, which helps inform our own internal Quality Assurance and Enhancement Framework. You can find further information on the external examiners page.
One of the things that underpins the quality of the teaching at Bournemouth University is the information provided as part of our programme specifications. These are provided to students as part of their handbook and are the defining documentation for academic programmes and awards. They cover:
- The aims of the programme
- Intended learning outcomes
- Curriculum content
- Programme structure
- Assessment methods
- Learning and teaching methods
- Progression opportunities
- Assessment regulations
- Admission regulations
A full programme specification is available to download on each individual course page. Current programme specifications for all of our courses are also available.
Get in touch
All of this is facilitated through our Academic Quality team. If you have any questions about our academic quality and standards, please contact them.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0) 1202 961274