Not one to follow the crowd? Defy the norm! It takes a self-assured soul to drink less or stay alcohol-free during the start of term when others are getting drunk to celebrate, to fit in, or to help take the edge off their social inhibitions.
Peer pressure can build up but there are ways you can start uni life with more confidence and fewer awkward decisions, without affecting your social life:
Eat and drink
Before you head out, eat and drink plenty of water. Sometimes we think we want alcohol when we're actually just hungry or thirsty. By quenching your thirst and satisfying your hunger beforehand, you're not only going to absorb the alcohol more steadily, you’ll also be less likely to down your drinks.
Pre-drink with a few non-alcoholic drinks and snacks. It's tempting to drink as much as possible before you go out, for financial reasons or to settle any pre-socialising nerves, but it’s much easier to start drinking later than it is to stop drinking once you've started. Pace it out and you’ll be more likely to have a decent night without a raging hangover the next day. The local Asda, Co-Op and Tesco all stock interesting, adult-orientated, low-alcohol/alcohol-free drinks.
There are plenty of low-alcohol/alcohol-free beers, ciders, sodas, and kombuchas stocked at local bars that look and taste just like the real thing. Try swapping alcohol for interesting alternative drinks when you’re out partying, this is a great way to be a bit more mindful about what you’re drinking.
Everyone’s just trying to have a good time and it’s up to them how they do that. Be supportive of your friends that aren’t drinking or are taking a moderate approach.
Rebel AF events schedule
Curious? Be Rebel AF during the start of term. Come along to one of the pop-up mini-fests and you’ll experience street magicians, a (temporary) tattoo artist, live music, DJs, and alcohol-free bars showcasing the best alternatives available at your Student Union bar, local supermarkets and pubs:
- Saturday 21 September| Rebel AF Pop Up | Chesil House (1 Madeira Road, Bournemouth, Dorset. BH1 1QG)| 8-10pm
- Sunday 22 September| Rebel AF Pop Up | Corfe House (Pitwines Close, Poole. BH15 1ED) | 8-10pm
- Monday 23 September | Rebel AF Pop Up | Lyme Regis House (69 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8FT) | 7-9pm
- Tuesday 24 September | Rebel AF Pop Up | Dorchester House (138B Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8AS) | 6.30-8.30pm
- **Wednesday 25 September | Rebel AF Crawl | Take a trip around town to try drinks you didn’t expect to find at places you didn’t expect to find them. 3 pm to 6 pm. Meet at the Old Fire Station at 3pm.
- Wednesday 25 September | Rebel AF Pop Up | Purbeck House (5-7 Oxford Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8ES) | 7-9pm
- Thursday 26 September | Rebel AF Pop Up | Bailey Point (21 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth. BH1 1RZ)| 7-9pm
- Friday 27 September | Rebel AF Pop Up | Home Park (Lansdowne Plaza, York Road, Bournemouth. BH1 3BW) | 8-10pm
For the latest and further information, check out your ResLifeBU Facebook groups.