Where to start
There’s more than one route to getting support; find out more about your options to get started:
Find the right support for you
Student Wellbeing service
- The Student Wellbeing service specialises in providing support for students who are experiencing stress, anxiety, or low mood
- Our team of Wellbeing Advisers offer short-term practical advice and teach self-care techniques for stress, anxiety or low mood but can also help with a range of other personal issues including panic, homesickness, and difficulties eating or sleeping
- They will also help you to get specialist support if you need it. This might involve counselling or longer-term support, in collaboration with Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust.
[email protected] team
- If you aren't sure if the Student Wellbeing service is right for you, reach out to our [email protected] team
- They offer a wide variety of pastoral and welfare support, specifically if personal issues are affecting your studies
- Depending on your circumstances, the team might refer you to to the Student Wellbeing service as a next step.
Attend a drop-in session – Monday to Friday, 1pm to 2pm, Talbot Campus (term time only)
- Our drop-in sessions are an opportunity to have a brief chat with a Wellbeing Adviser about your wellbeing, or to get advice on someone else's wellbeing, and to find out more about what our service offers
- Please register at the Student Wellbeing reception in Talbot House and a member of staff will let you know the approximate wait time to speak with an Adviser.
More about our support services
Counselling and One At A Time focused counselling
Longer-term specialist support
Get urgent support
Are you experiencing feelings of distress or despair right now?
Get in touch with our Student Assistance Programme or Connection 24/7. Alternatively drop-in to The Retreat.
Student Assistance Programme
Speak to an adviser or counsellor round the clock for mental health guidance and support:
- Freephone: 0800 028 3766
Connection is an NHS helpline for non-emergency mental health issues:
- Freephone: 0800 652 0190
Based in Bournemouth and Dorchester, The Retreat provides a safe space if you feel that you are reaching crisis point and need help.