Skip to main content

Urgent medical support

Urgent medical support

Find out who to contact for emergency or out of hours support - including during vacations.

Key information

The Medical Centre is open from Monday to Friday, 8.45am - 5pm. To book an appointment:

Covid-19: Check how to report a Covid positive test and the support available.

Important: you will need to wear a face-covering when you visit the Medical Centre (unless you are exempt). 

If you need medical advice: 

  • Speak to a local pharmacy for minor illnesses 
  • Call NHS 111 
  • Call Talbot Medical Centre in Wallisdown, 63 Kinson Road, BH10 4BX on 01202 636400 
  • Download the NHS App
  • If it is an emergency please call 999
  • For emergency contraception please contact The Junction on 0300 303 1948

Emergency appointments

If you are an emergency patient at the Student Medical Centre you will be seen as soon as possible. Urgent cases will be seen on the same day, but you may be required to wait.  

Important: if you have booked an appointment you will need to wear a face-covering when you visit the medical centre (unless you are exempt). 

Out of hours and during vacations 

The Student Medical Centre is open during term time only, 8:45am - 5pm. Outside of these opening hours you can contact the Talbot Medical Centre in Wallisdown or Northbourne Surgery near Kinson. View map for details. Please call first on 01202 636400

NHS 111 

You can call 111 when you need medical help urgently, but it's not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time. 

NHS 111 can also be accessed online

Some patients are not aware that they can get treatment from a GP 24 hours a day, often going to the emergency departments (ED) at hospitals during the 'out-of-hours' period instead. This not only causes pressure on the ED but can mean a lengthy wait for patients with non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries whilst urgent cases are prioritised. 

The NHS 

NHS health A-Z provides health advice and information, the NHS also offers specific advice on dealing with common illness including chickenpox and meningitis

Royal Bournemouth Hospital and Christchurch Hospital 

The Royal Bournemouth Hospital and Christchurch Hospital provide health care for the residents of Bournemouth, Christchurch, East Dorset and part of the New Forest. It has a 24-hour accident and emergency department, plus a specialist diabetic unit called BDEC. For directions please visit the RBCH website

Poole Hospital 

Poole Hospital mainly serves the areas of Poole, East Dorset and Purbeck. It is the major trauma centre for East Dorset and provides a broad range of district hospital care and a number of core services - ear, nose and throat, child health and maternity - for a wider catchment area, including Bournemouth and Christchurch.

The hospital also provides specialist services, such as oral surgery and neurological care, for the whole of Dorset and is the Cancer Centre for Dorset. For directions please visit the UHD website

International students on grass in the main courtyard

Services and other resources

The Student Medical Centre offers a variety of services to help you with health related issues including, immunisations, contraception and travel advice.

Icons representing the different stages of hand washing

Contagious diseases

Is it more serious? Information and advice for handling contagious (infectious) diseases.