Diabetes support and information

Being away from home and managing a medical condition like diabetes along with university life can be hard. But there is support available at BU and in the local community.

Going to university is a major change. You may be away from home for the first time with a totally different routine. Socialising is a big part of student life and you're usually cooking for yourself too, so eating and drinking habits may be very different to what you're used to at home.

It's important to register with a GP as soon as possible, as this will give you access to local medical care. The Student Medical Centre on Talbot Campus is ideal as you can use this during term time and there is also an out of hours/term service nearby at Talbot Medical Centre and Northbourne Surgery. Find out more about the support at BU below, plus the Young people's diabetes service (YPDS) at Bournemouth Hospital and the Dorset Diabetic Eye Screening Programme.

It's a good idea to keep something on you to let people know that you have diabetes such as a card or wristband. If you fall ill, the emergency services will be able to help you much more quickly. 

Remember, if you need emergency care, call 999 or go to your closest Emergency Department. 


Find out more about:

Medical Centre

Medical Centre

The Student Medical Centre on Talbot Campus offers a full range of services including; online advice, booking appointments, vaccinations and out of hours support.
Students outside the Medical Centre on Talbot Campus

Student Wellbeing service

Run in partnership with Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust, our Student Wellbeing service is a free, confidential, specialist service designed to help students who need specific support.

The Student Centre

SUBU Advice

Free independent and confidential advice on housing, money and personal matters offered by BU Students' Union.