Skip to main content

Gambling awareness

Get support for yourself or someone you know

Gambling awareness

Our Student Money Advice Team have shared guidance to raise awareness of responsible gambling, with tips on what you can do to protect yourself, and assistance if you feel that you're in need of additional support. 

Online gambling activities like bingo, poker, betting, or more specific types of gambling, have seen a huge increase in popularity as access is now easily available. Gambling carries the risk of criminal activity and can especially be an issue for vulnerable people. It can also be addictive, and you need to know when to stop.

The Gambling Commission regulates the gambling industry and ensures that operators provide responsible gambling; their website has some useful information on gambling and how to keep safe when gambling.

Finding support

If you've been affected by gambling and wish to speak to someone, there are a number of free services which you can access:

There is a lot of information on the NHS website regarding gambling and where to find help.


Self-exclusion is a way to limit the amount of online gambling you're able to do by asking the gambling provider to exclude you from gambling with them for a set length of time. You can find out more on the following websites:


BU has teamed up with GambleAware to deliver EROGamb: Enabling Responsible Online Gambling. The project helps gambling subscribers to visualise their gambling history to inform decisions on their gambling behaviour.

Along with behaviour change mechanisms to try and reduce problem gambling, they also enable gamblers to manage their gambling by goal-setting and self-monitoring.

You can find out more about the project on the Research blog

Support at BU

If you feel that you need to talk to someone at BU find out more about our support and advice services on campus. You can also visit our financial support and bugeting pages.

Useful apps to track spending

  • Yolt: uses open banking to show you an overview of your finances. You can set and track budgets for 21 categories, including things like travel, groceries and housing.
  • Money Dashboard: displays your spending in colourful charts and graphs, so you can see where your money’s gone at a glance.
  • Cleo: this AI guide can answer questions about your finances. The app works through Facebook Messenger and lets you pay friends, set spending goals and alerts.
  • Monzo: you can use this app to track different types of expenses, keep an eye on daily spending, put money aside and anticipate upcoming costs. 

MoneySavingExpert also has lots of finance tips and tools, as well as information about the latest student deals and discounts.

The Student Centre

SUBU Advice

Free independent and confidential advice on housing, money and personal matters offered by BU Students' Union.