At BU, we’re committed to supporting students who have caring responsibilities to enter and succeed in higher education, we offer a range of support to make your transition to university life easier.
The Carers Trust define carers as ‘anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.’
The roles and responsibilities for a carer can vary significantly and you may be classed as a carer if you undertake any of the following:
- Look after family members, such as siblings, parents, partners or grandparents
- Provide emotional and wellbeing support
- Provide physical care for someone such as getting in and out of bed
- Undertake day to day tasks for someone, such as cooking, shopping and housework
- Manage family finances and bills
- Help manage medication and prescriptions.
Find out more about the support and advice that we can offer at BU below, along with the external resources available to carers.