A number of membership options are available for visitors wishing to use or borrow books from Bournemouth University's libraries.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide access to our electronic resources (databases, e-journals, e-books etc.) as these are acquired under licence for exclusive use of Bournemouth University staff and students.
Under 16’s are only allowed to use the library if:
- they are on an organised visit with their school
- they are accompanied by either their parent or guardian on each visit.
The parent/guardian will need to supply proof of ID in order for a person under the age of 16 to register as a member. Please see How to Join the Library for further details.
A reference card enables you to use the study areas and refer to our printed materials within the confines of the library. You will not be able to borrow books.
As an external borrower you can borrow up to three books at a time.
External membership is free if you fall into one of the following categories:
- Bournemouth University Alumni Association members (former staff eligible to join, as well as students)
- Retired staff of Bournemouth University
- Full-time staff and students of the Arts University Bournemouth
- Staff and students of Bournemouth & Poole College
- Staff and students of Weymouth College
- Students on BU validated courses at Kingston Maurward College and UCY
- SCONUL Access members - students, researchers and academic staff who have been accepted into the SCONUL Access scheme.
If you are a student or member of staff at another UK (or Irish) publicly funded university, you can join BU Library as a vacation borrower.
You can borrow up to three books at a time, during Bournemouth University vacations only.
Subscription borrower membership
On payment of an annual fee, you can become a subscription member of the BU library.
You can borrow up to 12 books at a time. Also, you can make use of the reservations facility to reserve any book that is on loan to another user.
Membership of the BU library is offered at the following annual rates:
|£39 (inc VAT) per year||Teachers at publicly-funded schools
Staff and students of public UK Higher Education establishments
Students and academic staff at Bournemouth University's formally recognised pathway partner colleges: BBSI, Kings and MLS
|£70 (inc VAT) per year||Individuals who do not fall into the categories above|
|£126 (inc VAT) per year||Companies or other corporate bodies|
For an individual subscription, please come to the Help Zone during staffed opening times. We can accept payment by debit/credit card, cash or cheque.
Companies or other corporate bodies should apply in writing to:
Head of Library Services and University Librarian
The Sir Michael Cobham Library