- Subject coverage: National and regional archives of the BFI, including 120 years of Britain on film, capturing our lives and our stories
- Type of content: thousands of preserved short films and features.
- Subject coverage: access TV and radio programmes from over 65 'free-to-air' channels using a programme guide and a search option. Option to schedule recordings up to seven days in advance and request programmes broadcast over the previous 30 days. Search BoB to access other users' recorded programmes. Permanent archive of all broadcast content from nine channels: BBC1 London / BBC2 / BBC4 / ITV London / Channel 4 / More4 / Channel 5 / BBC Radio 4 / BBC Radio 4 Extra. Content plays in your web browser with access available both on and off campus.
- Type of content: TV and radio programmes
- Date range: 2007 to present
- Level of access: BU staff/student login required; registration required on first use. Available off-campus, but not outside the UK.
British Library Sounds
- Subject coverage: archival recordings from the British Library, National Sound Archive of interview and conversations with leading British cultural figures, African music and writing and sound
- Type of content: audiovisual material.
- Subject coverage: News, sport, social history and entertainment
- Size/scope: 3500 hours
- Type of content: Archive of moving images
- Date range: 1896 to 1970.
NB: Set up a personal account by using the "Join" button at the top right of the British Pathe page. This will allow you to view the films but not to buy stills.
EBSCO Host Databases
This is the hyperlink to the EBSCO database set configured to search in every database we have access to.
- Subject coverage: Multidisciplinary database from national libraries and cultural institutions of the European Union
- Size/scope: Two million records
- Type of content: Books, maps, recordings, photographs, archival documents, paintings and films
- Level of access: Text, images, video.
Independent Local Radio
- Subject coverage: Three projects that bring together archives of Independent Local Radio
- Size/scope: See individual entries for LBC/IRN Audio Archive, ILR Sharing and ILR South
- Type of content: radio programmes
- Date range: 1973-1996
- Level of access: Audio.
Login by using the 'Sign in' link on the top right hand corner and selecting Bournemouth University from the drop down list
The John Johnson Collection
- Subject coverage: database of printed ephemera
- Size/ scope: 65,000 scanned items
- Type of content: printed ephemera
- Date range: 1540 -1975
- Level of access: scanned images.
- Subject coverage: international directory of online newspapers
- Type of content: links to online newspapers
- Level of access: some full text available.
- Subject coverage: newspapers
- Size/scope: over 2,000 UK and international newspapers
- Type of content: all major daily and business newspapers, also general business and industry publications
- Type of content: facsimiles of newspapers
- Date range: last 365 days for most titles (The Guardian last 14 days only)
- Level of access: full text.
The Times Digital Archive (TDA)
- Subject coverage: News
- Size/scope: An excellent resource for historical and biographical research. TDA provides a full facsimile of The Times enabling you to see the pages as they were published. The paper of record, it is an authoritative source of contemporary reporting and commentary on events for the past 200 years
- Type of content: Newspaper articles
- Date range: 1785-2013
- Level of access: Full text available.
The contents of this database are included in mySearch
Can be selected using advanced search in mySearch