Location and staff
Borrowing - Hospital Library
As a current Bournemouth University HSS student, you may borrow up to 12 books from the Hospital Library. The normal loan period is four weeks. You may renew the item in person or by phone, provided nobody else is waiting for the book in question. If your book is overdue you will be sent a written reminder. If the book is not returned you will be charged replacement costs plus an administrative charge of £10.
Please do not pass on material you have borrowed to someone else. You are responsible for it until it is returned to the Library.
Library IT facilities
There are 15 computers and 1 laptop in the Library and IT Suite which provide MS Office and Internet access.
You will receive an induction from Hospital Library staff and you will be able to staff ask for assistance during staffed hours.
It is important to attend your timetabled University IT and Library sessions, as they are designed to give you the skills to carry out research for your assignments. To complement these sessions, you can arrange subject advice on a one-to-one basis at Weston Library through your faculty library team.
Any enquiries concerning the resources on the Bournemouth University Library web pages should be addressed to the HSS faculty library team. Alternatively, you can ring Bournemouth University Library Enquiries on (01202) 965959.
At the Yeovil District Hospital Library we welcome constructive comments from our users. This is possible through using the comments/suggestions forms that are available in the Library.
Returning BU Library books via Yeovil District Hospital Library
If you are on placement at Yeovil District Hospital and cannot get to Bournemouth University Library to return your books, you can return them via Yeovil District Hospital. Please note: The Library cannot obtain books from the University for you.
All you have to do is:
- Take your books to the Library at Yeovil District Hospital. Complete a form indicating when the books were returned. Library staff will date stamp the form and return it with the books to the University. Please keep a record of the barcodes of the books you have returned.
- Email Librarysupport@bournemouth.ac.uk giving your ID number and the barcodes of the books to be returned.
- Fines will not be charged if the date of your phone call and the date on the form from the Hospital Library are the same
- Fines will be charged on books already overdue when handed in at Yeovil District Hospital
- You need to check the return date for books, and ensure that they are returned or renewed by that date
- You are responsible for your books until discharged by Bournemouth University.
Book returns to Bournemouth University Library are subject to NHS courier networks and are not available from all NHS locations.
There are a number of other resources that may be available to you as you are studying on your placement year, with information available through our Other resources for students on placement in the NHS page.