Skip to main content

Living in accommodation FAQs

If you’re not sure what to expect from university accommodation, or how to prepare for your move, we’ve addressed all the most common queries here. Remember, you can always get in touch if there’s something we’ve missed.

What do I need to bring?

You don’t need to bring lots with you and you should be aware that most student bedrooms have limited space and storage but there are a few important things that you should remember to bring. Visit our preparing to move here page for a list of handy items.

Will my contents be covered by any insurance?

BU and its accommodation partners work in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, to provide cover for the contents inside your room. The cost of this is included in the price you pay and you don’t need to do anything to activate this cover, but it is important you fully understand the protection provided and check it is sufficient for your needs. To find out more, visit Check Your Cover.

What items are supplied in my accommodation?

Do you get a kettle, microwave, toilet brush etc? View our handy table (pdf 200kb) of what items are supplied in what accommodation.

When can I move in?

January 2020

If you are living in BU accommodation you can move in from 25 January. If you are living in private rented accommodation then check the date on your contract.

September 2020

You can choose to arrive on either: Thursday 17, Friday 18, Saturday 19 or Sunday 20.  If possible, we recommend you avoid arriving on Saturday 19, as it can get very busy and you can expect to experience heavy traffic and delays. 

Further details will be sent out to you via email in early September so you can plan your arrival schedule in advance. 

Does the accommodation have internet access?

All of our accommodation has wireless internet access, the cost of which is included in the rent. You will be subject to a fair usage policy in relation to the internet services in your building and we cannot guarantee that high bandwidth activities can always be supported. You will be supplied with full details on how to connect to the internet when you move into your accommodation.

Are guests allowed to stay in my accommodation with me?

You can have overnight guest(s) in your room, although not usually for more than a couple of nights in a row (please check with your accommodation team before you do so). Remember that you are responsible for your guest(s) during this time, which includes any damage or problems they may cause. 

Do I need a TV licence?

You will need to be covered by a TV licence to watch or record live programmes (including BBCiplayer) on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. Depending on where you live and what type of tenancy agreement you have, you may need a separate TV licence to watch such programmes on a device in your own room. If you vacate your accommodation for the summer you can apply for a refund. Without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. Find out more.

Are parties allowed in the flats/houses?

We want you to enjoy yourselves and you’re welcome to have small gatherings in your accommodation, provided you show consideration for other residents. The majority of the halls of residence have common rooms that can be used if you are expecting larger numbers of people. There are also loads of events and activities planned for you (see our ResLife section and the SUBU website for information about social events in and around your accommodation).

Is car parking available?

There is no car parking at any of our halls of residence. If you are registered disabled you can apply for a parking permit. However, with the option to include an annual student bus pass in your rent there is no need to bring a car. Most students use the BU buses that run regular services to and from the student accommodation to the campuses. There is also secure bike storage at each of the accommodation sites for if you want to bring your bike. If you really need to bring a car then a Unilet room is probably your best option as there is generally on-street parking around Unilet houses.

What about anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour, including bullying, is unacceptable and, if proven, will be a breach of your accommodation contract and BU Student Agreement. Any allegation of anti-social behaviour will be investigated by an accommodation manager under the disciplinary procedure (which, if proven, may result in eviction from your accommodation and could also impact on your academic course). If you experience anything that could be this type of behaviour we ask that you speak with a member of your local accommodation team immediately. 

What about drugs and alcohol?


We cannot accept the use, sharing or selling of illegal substances in our accommodation. It is against the law but also will be a breach of your accommodation contract and BU Student Agreement. If you are found with illegal substances you will be dealt with by an accommodation manager under the disciplinary procedure (which may result in eviction from your accommodation and could also impact on your academic course). We will also report any incidents to the police so they can take their own action against you.


Here at ResLifeBU HQ, while we want you to have an amazing time and immerse yourselves in the excitement of the start of term, we'd also like to encourage the concept of mindful drinking. Mindful drinking is an attitude. It's the attitude that you can change the way you think and feel about alcohol for the better. When you drink mindfully, you become aware of how your body and mind are affected and can decide whether you're drinking for the right reasons. You get that bit of space to pause, reflect and take control of your actions. For many people, this can involve swapping some alcoholic drinks for non-alcoholic ones, sticking to a certain number or type of drinks, choosing lower-alcohol options or cutting out alcohol entirely to pursue another goal (exams, projects, fitness, etc).

More information can be found at the Be Rebel AF event page.

Is there a cleaning service?

It is your accommodation and as such you and your flat/housemates will be responsible for keeping it clean and tidy. There will be periodical inspections of the accommodation to check that you are all working together to keep it in good condition. If it is found that you are unable to maintain the accommodation to an acceptable standard then cleaners can be contracted and you and your housemates charged (cost of charges will be supplied by your local accommodation team).

How is excessive noise dealt with?

You will be living with lots of other students and we ask that you show consideration for them when it comes to noise. We request that you keep noise to an acceptable level at all times and persistent offenders will be spoken to by the local accommodation team, with serious incidents being dealt with by an accommodation manager under the terms of your accommodation contract.

Is smoking allowed in the rooms/flats?

Smoking (including vaping) is not permitted in any of our accommodation. Information on the designated smoking areas for each accommodation will be supplied upon your arrival.

Can I stick posters on the walls?

Please avoid sticking or pinning posters or pictures on the walls of your room, you may be charged for repainting if there are marks left on walls when you move out. There are pin boards supplied in most rooms that you can use for this.

Can I bring pets?

No. You cannot have any pets in your accommodation. 

What laundry facilities are available?

There are on-site laundry facilities in all of the halls of residence and unilet houses for you to use. Information and prices about these services will be supplied upon your arrival. 

Are there prayer rooms in the accommodation?

No, however, we do have a prayer room on our Talbot Campus on the first floor of Talbot House within the Faith & Reflection Service, and we have a prayer room on the ground floor of Bournemouth House on our Lansdowne Campus.

What do we do about rubbish?

Bins will be provided but you need to remove all rubbish/waste from your accommodation. Information about recycling and where your bins are located will be supplied when you move in.

Do bills have to be paid separately?

All bills such as internet, gas, water and electricity, are included in the rent.

What happens if something breaks or does not work?

You can report any fault to your accommodation team who will arrange for it to be fixed. Details of how to report maintenance will be supplied to you upon your arrival.

What should I do about condensation?

Condensation can be a common problem in shared accommodation where several people are living together cooking, showering and generally living communally, as a lot of moisture is generated. One of the best ways to avoid condensation is to ventilate by opening windows and using extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom when you are cooking or showering. You should also keep the kitchen and bathroom doors closed when these rooms are in use to prevent the moisture circulating. The build-up of condensation in the accommodation can lead to the emergence of mould if not managed. If this happens report it to your local accommodation team immediately.