There’s a lot to think about when you’re getting ready to start university. That’s why we try to make the process of choosing and booking accommodation as easy as possible.
In addition to the general support provided by our Residential Services team, we do this in two particular ways:
- Our accommodation guarantee
- Self-selection – a process designed to give you more choice about where you live
The accommodation guarantee
For January 2020 we guarantee accommodation for:
- All students who hold an Unconditional Offer and have booked their accommodation by 9am on Monday 16 December 2019 will be guaranteed accommodation for a 50-week duration commencing on 19 January 2020*.
For September 2020 entry we guarantee accommodation for:
- All undergraduate students who have selected BU as their firm choice, and have submitted their UCAS application by midnight on 30 June 2020, or by midnight on 5 July 2020 for UCAS Extra applications, will be guaranteed accommodation for a period of 40 - 42 weeks during their first year of study, commencing on Saturday 19 September 2020*. You then need to have completed your room booking by 7pm on Thursday 13 August 2020 to meet the terms of the BU accommodation guarantee.
- Undergraduate students who have selected BU as their Insurance choice, who are not covered in our accommodation guarantee, will still be eligible to book any remaining rooms from Thursday 13 August 2020.
- For undergraduate students applying through Clearing, we will update our position and offer nearer the time.
- Postgraduate students who hold an Unconditional Offer and have either reserved or booked their choice of accommodation by 8am Thursday 13 August 2020 will be guaranteed accommodation for a 50-week duration commencing on 21 September 2020*.
When you come to choose and secure your accommodation, you’ll do so via two simple stages in our online Accommodation Portal.
The self-selection system we use is geared around giving you more choice and control of where you will be living. In contrast to some other universities, we won’t just allocate you a room in a hall of our choosing; instead, you have the opportunity to view all the options available when you're eligible to book. Simply login into the Accommodation Portal, review what's available, select your room, check all the information and, when you're ready, go on and complete the booking. Simple.