Booking your accommodation is easy using our online Accommodation Portal. We’ve outlined the two stage process you’ll need to complete to secure your BU accommodation, but you can also read our booking FAQs if you get stuck for any reason.
The booking process:
Stage 1 - Registering your BU accommodation guarantee
Within 24 hours of accepting your offer to study at BU you'll be able to register your BU accommodation guarantee. You need to complete your registration to be able to go on to Stage 2, when you can then choose and book your BU accommodation*.
For September 2019 entry: If you hold an Offer with us, you can register your guarantee for BU accommodation through the Accommodation Portal. This then confirms your place in the BU community for September 2019.
If you apply after 30 June 2019, you may not be eligible for our accommodation guarantee. We will update this page and contact you with specific information about your accommodation options nearer the time.
For January 2020 entry: If you hold an Offer with us, you can register your guarantee for BU accommodation through the Accommodation Portal from the middle of November 2019.
Stage 2 - Choose and book your accommodation
Conditional offer-holders: So long as you have completed Stage 1 and registered your BU accommodation guarantee, your place in the BU community is confirmed. To go on and book a room (Stage 2), you will need to meet the criteria of your offer for your status to change to Unconditional. Complete Stage 1 then there's nothing you need to do until you hear from us again. In the meantime, you can explore your accommodation options as well as check out the ResLifeBU programme, exclusive to BU accommodation.
Unconditional Offer-holders: to be able to complete Stage 2 of your booking, you need to have successfully registered for your BU accommodation guarantee (Stage 1) and have an Unconditional Firm (UF) offer status.
For September 2019 entry: You’ll receive an email shortly after you become eligible to book BU accommodation. To be eligible you will hold an Unconditional offer and have selected BU as your firm choice.
For January 2020 entry: You'll be able to choose and book from mid-November 2019.
How to complete Stage 1 & 2
To access the Accommodation Portal: You will need your BU Student Login, which comprises a username and password. Don't have it? Don't worry:
- Your username along with your password was sent to you by email when you first applied to BU (please check your email records).
- If you have lost this email then you can search your email folders for an email from BU Account Notification or with the subject title Your BU Student Account (remember to check your Junk and Deleted items).
- Once you have located this email you can retrieve your username and password (you can even reset your password from a link in this email if you wish). You can then log in to the Accommodation Portal.
If you cannot locate your email then you should contact our AskBU team on +44 (0)1202 969696, Monday-Friday, 08:30 to 17:00 (16:30 on Friday)
To complete Stage 1 and/or Stage 2: Once you are logged in to the Accommodation Portal, select 'Registration and Booking' on the top navigation. You can then follow the steps to complete Stage 1 (registering for your guarantee) and/or Stage 2 (choosing and booking your room).
Confirming your booking: Once you've become eligible to book your room and made your selection you will need to make a financial payment to secure your room.
- If the room is booked directly with BU (Student Village, Unilet, Dorchester House and Home Park) you will need to make your payment within 24 hours. After this period, the reservation will be cancelled and the room released for others to book.
- If you select any of our other options your booking will be handled by one of Halls of Residence teams who will be in contact with you within five working days to request payment to secure the booking. After this period, the reservation will be cancelled and the room released for others to book.
Our Accommodation Price Guide (pdf 154kb) details the required payments to secure your booking.
Self-selection: giving you more control
Unlike most universities, we don’t choose and allocate your room for you. Our self-selection system means you choose from what’s available, just like booking a seat in a theatre or for a show.