Here at ResLifeBU, our passionate team are there from the moment you secure your accommodation in the BU student accommodation portfolio and with the ongoing Covid-19 situation they have been busy planning alternative events and activities, which are fully risk assessed and will be delivered with your safety in mind but that will also give you the best chance of having a great experience whatever the situation might be.
From the moment when you arrive, we organise activities, excursions and events that help you get to know each other and form that all important network of friends. With things happening each and every term-time week, you’ll always have something to do!
We know that arriving to University for the first time can be daunting so, ahead of your arrival in September, we wanted to give you a taste of what ResLifeBU have planned for you in the way of activities & events for your first 6 weeks!
From 12 September 2020 - Outdoor Adventures & Indoor Activities*:
- Sunset Surfing.
- ‘Silent Disco’ Flow Yoga on the Beach.
- Arts & Crafts - Inc. Terrarium Making, Acrylic Paint Pours, Ceramic Painting, Macramé Making and much more!
- Mini Golf @Smugglers Cove.
- Rock Climbing on Bournemouth Pier @Rock Reef.
- Lead Beryl Bike Rides to Stunning Iconic Locations (Hengistbury Head, Sandbanks Peninsula, Old Harries Rocks & More!)
- Forest Bathing - an enchanted exploration of the mind & body deep in the heart of the new forest.
- Excursions to Areas of Natural Beauty – Inc. Durdle Door, Corfe Castle & Boat trips around Poole Quay.
- Sunrise (Pier-to-Pier) Beach Run/Jog.
- The ‘Wine & Cheese’ Book Club – delivered by ‘Shelf Help’, a truly unique bonding experience in a local arts’ café.
- Beach Volleyball + Beach Clean.
- ‘Rise & Conquer’ – meeting at sunrise on the beach for a bonfire, sauna, breakfast and dip in the icy seas, with a trained cold-water therapist who will take you through down-regulating breath work and meditation to prepare you to conquer the morning.
Between 12 September and 10 October, we also have the 'ResLifeBU Student Flat Out Challenge*, which is not one to miss, involving a host of activities for you and your flat/teams to compete in throughout September & October. With HUGE prizes to be won, your teams go head-to-head with other flats/teams to complete in an all-out battle, exploring the nooks & crannies of Dorset, cooking up a storm in the kitchen, and much, much more!
From the start, being part of the student community gives you the perfect opportunity to create the friendships that in many cases, will last for many years to come!
ResLife really is the best way to make new friends and ease those first steps as you transition into this new chapter in your lives.
New for 2020 - The Quieter Side of Life*:
Not one to feel at home in the large crowds? Confidently introvert? Just want to try something different with peaceful like-minded souls? Our Quieter Side of Life programme could be for you with smaller, calmer events with a limited number of attendees.
Our aim is to ensure no student feels as though they have not been given the opportunity to socialise and meet new people in their first year at University.
Check out the below gallery for a taste of some of our previous activities and events!
*Attendees will be expeced to comply with all relevant safety guidance and restrictions with all events and activities being subject to change based on government guidance at the time.
“I was talking with a friend earlier & we were saying how Res Life is the most useful university service have. In the first few weeks it gets you out and I've met quiet few people. The scavenger hunt helped me know Bournemouth also which was great!”
Steven Thomas | BA (Hons) Product Design
“It's great Res Life staff are students, that live with us. They're really approachable and the events get me out of my room at times that I would not be”.
Simone | MA Events Management
“As a non-drinker, ResLife was a chance to socialise with other students without that uncomfortable feeling that I don’t fit in”.
Ben White | BSc (Hons) Computing
“RES life is a superb social group; it helped me come out of my shell! University life wouldn't be the same with Res Life; it allowed to go out and make more friends, more than just the ones in my flat”
George Marden | BA (Hons) Product Design
“Without res life we simply wouldn't be out socialising the way that we are. You'd stay with your own flat. It really helped get out of my shell!”
Henry Wade | BA (Hons) Product Design