We have given information in sections 4 and 5 about the length of time for which we will keep your personal data in connection with some categories of processing/data. BU is undertaking a review of its retention policies and future versions of this Notice will contain more specific references to retention periods for different categories of data.
In general, we apply the following principles to determine for how long we will keep your data:
- Much of the personal data we hold, including within your student files and in our Finance department, will be kept during the period of your BU course and for several years after you leave BU. We keep this data to enable us:
- to manage your course/education efficiently and effectively and provide you with appropriate support during your time at BU
- to respond to queries or concerns you have about your experience at BU either during your time here or afterwards, and to defend any legal claims brought against us; and
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements as to accounting and audit.
- A small amount of data will be held indefinitely: this is the data that we need to hold so that we can confirm whether individuals attended BU and the qualifications they obtained here.