As an individual you have certain rights regarding our processing of your personal data, including a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner as the relevant supervisory authority.
Under the data protection laws you have a number of rights in relation to our processing of your data. In summary these are:
- Right to request access to your data as processed by BU and information about that processing (a “subject access request”)
- Right to rectify any inaccuracies in your data
- Right to request erasure of your data from our systems and files
- Right to place restrictions on our processing of your data
- Right to object to our processing of your data
- Right to data portability: where we are processing data that you have provided to us, on the basis of consent or as necessary for the performance of a contract between us, you have the right to ask us to provide your data in an appropriate format to you or to another controller.
You are entitled to request a copy of the data you provide to us in an electronic format so that you may pass that data to another body (the right to data portability), as well as to request a copy of the data we hold about you (a Subject Access Request).
You are also entitled to raise an objection to the processing where the processing of data we hold about you is likely to cause you damage or distress, and to request either the rectification of any incorrect data, the restriction of any further processing of your data or the erasure of your data (right to be forgotten).
You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing your personal data where we have originally asked for your consent. However, where we collect your personal data under another legal basis, it may not be possible for us to remove all of your personal data from our records if you request this.
Most of these rights are subject to some exceptions or exemptions, depending on the purposes for which data is being processed.
If you have any questions or concerns about our processing of your data, please contact the BU Data Protection Officer (DPO):
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01202 962472
Address: Poole House, Bournemouth University, Fern Barrow, Poole BH12 5BB
If you would like to exercise any of your rights as outlined above, you can contact the DPO as above or visit the Data Protection page on our website to access the relevant forms.
We will always aim to respond clearly and fully to any concerns you have about our processing and requests to exercise the rights set out above. However, as a data subject if you have concerns about our data processing or consider that we have failed to comply with the data protection legislation then you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection regulator, the Information Commissioner:
Disclosures in response to information requests
As a public authority and controller we receive information requests under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the UK GDPR and we must consider whether to disclose information about our staff in response to these requests. We will normally disclose work-related information about staff in a public facing role. We may also disclose information about staff members whose work is purely administrative if their names are routinely sent out externally. It is less likely that information about those who do not deal directly with the public in an operational capacity will be disclosed. The Executive Team and the University Leadership Team will have more information disclosed about them, such as photographs and biographical detail, due to their position at BU. We will consider withholding information if we think that it will prejudice our commercial interests or the conduct of public affairs or the rights and safety of our staff, irrespective of grade or position.
The type of information you can expect we will routinely disclose is as follows:
- Name and work contact details.
- Pay bands (not your exact salary).
- How long you have worked at BU, your current role, any previous roles or secondments and what your role involves.
- Your position in the corporate structure.
- Business related entries in your diary/calendar.
- Summaries of expense claims without details of where you stayed, where you ate or your itinerary.
- Any work related training at BU.
- Any work related minutes.
The list above does not include every area where we might disclose information about you. The type of information provided will only concern your professional life at BU. We will not disclose non-work related personal or special category data under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
We will consult with you prior to deciding whether to disclose any information that we consider would not be within your reasonable expectations.