Bournemouth University (BU) aims to provide a safe, healthy, accessible and functional environment for all students and staff.
Our Design Standards document has been prepared to set out standard requirements for design and construction in building and engineering works. It applies to all new-build and refurbishment works within BU’s portfolio of properties, controlling quality in the production of designs, specifications and the subsequent performance of buildings.
The Design Standards are written for employees of BU, architects and external consultants and contractors. The purpose of the Design Standards is to act as a briefing document to give designers an overview of the design requirements, constraints and challenges presented by BU’s specialist needs.
View the Design Standards appendices 1–12
- BU policies relevant to Design Standards:
- Standard Furniture Catalogue (pdf 12.2mb)
- Equality Analysis Procedure
- Accessibility and Inclusion Checklist (pdf 89kb)
- Soft Landings example document (xlsx 95kb)
- BU handover checklist (pdf 246kb)
- Wayfinding Guide (pdf 1.5mb)
- BU Branding Guide (pdf 4.3mb)
- Pre-Construction Information (pdf 568kb)
- Standard Lift Specification (pdf 162kb)
- Accessible Tea Point (pdf 136kb)
- Standard Drawings (pdf 2.2mb)