Participating in a taught language course is a fantastic way to learn a new language or enhance your existing language skills. Language courses can be offered in the UK or overseas. The benefits of taking a class overseas are that you have better opportunities to put your language skills into practice in a real-life situation after class.
Language courses can range in duration from one week (i.e. an intensive course) to a month or longer. The more time you spend on learning a language the better your skills will be. Graduate employers are impressed by students who have fluency in more than one language, so it will look great on your CV.
Funding available for taught language courses overseas
If you decide to undertake a taught language course overseas you might be able to benefit from funding to contribute towards some of the costs of your activity.
If your taught language course takes place in the EEA and has a duration of at least 60 days, you may be able to benefit from BU Erasmus+ funding. Please note, the Erasmus+ funding will be able available for BU students for mobilities overseas until May 2023 only.
You may also be able to benefit from BU Turing Scheme funding which is available to all BU students undertaking mobilities globally with a duration between 2 weeks and 12 months. Please note, BU currently offers Turing Scheme funding for mobilities taking place ending before 31 August 2022. Availability for funding in 2022/23 will be announced in due course.
If you would like to know more information about the Erasmus+ funding or the Turing Scheme funding and the eligibility and quality assessment requirements, please visit the relevant webpages or email the team at: [email protected] for queries about the Erasmus+ funding and at: [email protected] for queries about the Turing Scheme funding.
Host organisations who could help you find a language course
Please remember though that all of the opportunities listed below have been provided in good faith. BU is not responsible for the content of the websites or any of the activities these organisations are running:
- Academica Contacto – Spanish Language School with centres in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante or Grenada.
- Centro de Lenguas e Intercambio Cultural – Spanish Language School with centres in Seville, Cadiz, and Malaga
- EduPlus – Spanish Language Course
- EF – various language courses at centres around the world.
- JaLS Group – Japanese Language School with centres in Hokkaido and Tokyo
- KCP International – Japanese Language School in Tokyo
- Language International – offers a variety of language courses abroad
- Study Abroad – details a variety of intensive language programmes
- Olé Spanish Language School – Spanish Language School in Bournemouth
- University of California, Berkely – various language courses in Berkely, California
- University of California, Los Angeles – various language courses in Los Angeles, California