Participating in a taught language course is a fantastic way to learn a new language or enhance your existing language skills. Language courses can be offered in the UK or overseas. The benefits of taking a class overseas are that you have better opportunities to put your language skills into practice in a real-life situation after class.
Language courses can range in duration from one week (i.e. an intensive course) to a month or longer. The more time you spend on learning a language the better your skills will be. Graduate employers are impressed by students who have fluency in more than one language, so it will look great on your CV.
Funding available for taught language courses overseas
If you decide to undertake an opportunity abroad you might be able to benefit from funding to contribute towards some of the costs of your activity
- BU Turing Scheme funding is available to all BU students and recent graduates undertaking mobilities globally with a duration between 4 weeks and 12 months, between September and August
- If you would like to know more information about the Turing Scheme funding and the eligibility and quality assessment requirements, please visit the relevant web pages or email the team at: [email protected].
Host organisations who could help you find a language course
Please remember though that all of the opportunities listed below have been provided in good faith. BU is not responsible for the content of the websites or any of the activities these organisations are running:
- Academica Contacto – Spanish Language School with centres in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante or Grenada.
- Centro de Lenguas e Intercambio Cultural – Spanish Language School with centres in Seville, Cadiz, and Malaga
- EduPlus – Spanish Language Course
- EF – various language courses at centres around the world.
- JaLS Group – Japanese Language School with centres in Hokkaido and Tokyo
- KCP International – Japanese Language School in Tokyo
- Language International – offers a variety of language courses abroad
- Study Abroad – details a variety of intensive language programmes
- Olé Spanish Language School – Spanish Language School in Bournemouth
- University of California, Berkely – various language courses in Berkely, California
- University of California, Los Angeles – various language courses in Los Angeles, California
For further advice
If you have any queries regarding international activities at BU, please email the Global Engagement Team at [email protected].
Want to drop-in?
Our drop-in sessions are every Monday (virtual/in-person) and Wednesday (in person) afternoons during term time. The sessions are open to all students wanting to find out about opportunities to study and work overseas during your degree and the funding available to support you:
- Mondays, 1pm - 5pm: Join us online via Microsoft Teams (MS Teams), search “BU Study and Work Overseas Drop-in” in MS Teams or access the session in MS Teams
- Mondays, 1pm - 3pm: Visit us in person in the Opportunity Hub, Bournemouth Gateway Building, Lansdowne Campus. Study abroad | Bournemouth University
- Wednesdays, 1pm - 5pm: Visit us in person in The Hub, Poole House, Talbot Campus.
- Outside term time – you can also arrange a meeting with the Global Engagement Team during vacations by emailing [email protected].