If you're worried about the cost of going on a placement, you should check whether you are eligible for some additional financial support. BU offers funding to eligible students through the Placement Opportunity Fund.
The money available is specifically for UK Home students enrolled on a full time, BU undergraduate course and who meet the following criteria:
- Either household income of £25,000 per year or less
- Household income of £40,000 per year or less together with at least one of the following:
- Mature students - HESA benchmark over 21
- Additional learning needs/disability
- Care leaver
- Students from low participation neighbourhoods
- Black Minority Ethnic
- First in family to attend university
- Female students taking STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics)
- Placements must be recorded in MyCareerHub and approved by Faculty Placement Coordinators
- Students on the following courses are not eligible to apply for this fund:
- BSc Nursing
- BSc Midwifery
- BSc Occupational Therapy
- BSc Physiotherapy
- DIPHE Operating Department Practice
- BSc Paramedic Science
- BA Social Work.
- Channel Islands/EU/International students are not eligible to apply for this fund
- Postgraduate students are not eligible to apply for this fund.
The Placement Opportunity Fund can help with expenses such as travel and clothing for interviews, travel to start placement, essential uniforms and tools, as well as Standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, visas and inoculation costs.
How to apply
Awards from the fund will be made on a first-come, first-served basis to those meeting the eligibility criteria. Visit MyCareerHub to find out more about who can apply for this support and to complete the online form.
When to apply
You must apply to this fund prior to your placement commencing (e.g. if support is needed for interview) or during the placement itself. You cannot apply after your placement has finished.
Please note: It can take up to 20 working days to process your application.