Our service is limited but we are available by phone and email - contact us on 01202 969696 and [email protected], Monday to Friday, between 9am – 5pm (4.30pm Fridays). The latest information from BU can be found in our Coronavirus FAQs.

At BU we want to give our international students all the support they need to meet their immigration conditions.

We don't want you to have any problems with your visa, so we have put together the following important information in this section to help you.

This section will help you with your Student visa extensions and advise you about working restrictions and travelling within the EU during your studies.

The AskBU Advisers have received basic immigration training and can answer all your general immigration questions. If you need complex immigration advice the Immigration Compliance and Advice Team are fully immigration trained advisers and the only team at BU who have the required training to offer immigration advice. You can contact a member of our Immigration Compliance and Advice Team through AskBU.

If the AskBU team is not available, you can use the OISC Adviser Finder on the right of this page to find a trained immigration adviser.

Biometric Residence Permits

If you are applying for a Student visa which will last more than six months, your permission to remain in the UK will be issued in two parts:

  1. You will receive a 90-day entry clearance visa that will allow you to enter the UK.
  2. Once you are in the UK, you will be issued with Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which will cover your full duration of studies. 

You do not have to apply separately for a BRP. You’ll get one automatically if your visa or immigration application is approved, or you’re replacing an older document.

We have answered some of the most common queries below. If you still have questions, please contact the Immigration Compliance and Advice Team

Frequently Asked Questions

In this section

Student Route visa

While you are studying at BU this section explains what you need to do to apply for your visa.

Student PBS dependants

Information for Student visa holders who want to bring dependants to the UK under the Points-Based System (PBS).

Working during your studies

If you are an international student looking to work, you need to be aware of the immigration restrictions in place. Find out more.

Travelling outside the UK

This section has advice on what you need to consider when travelling outside the UK and applying for a Schengen visa.