Travelling outside the UK

You may want to travel abroad while you are at BU.

That is why we have put together this quick guide with advice on what to do before you go and check out the links to information on short stay/tourist visas or Schengen visa as it is known.

Remember......before you travel abroad and regardless of your visa status, you should:

  • Check your passport and UK student visa is not due to expire while you are away
  • Carry with you on your journey a letter from the University confirming that you are a student registered on a full-time course, and evidence that you can support yourself (eg. bank statements, sponsor’s letter). Always check which student status letter you require;  contact your destination UK foreign embassy - go to, then click on ‘London Diplomatic List’ 
  • Buy travel insurance for the duration of your holiday. For more information refer to the Living in the UK web pages.

If you hold a UK student visa and you will be returning to the UK before it expires, you still need to carry a visa letter from AskBU in your hand luggage. You can apply for a student status letter online.

If your UK student visa will expire during your absence you should apply to have it extended before you leave the UK. Every time you go abroad you must check whether you require a visa to enter the country you intend to visit.

Immigration and visas

Immigration and visas

Get advice about your visa application and find the answers to a range of immigration-related questions.

People working at a computer

Working during your studies

If you are an international student looking to work, you need to be aware of the immigration restrictions in place. Find out more.