There are a number of different reasons why you might wish to interrupt your studies for a period of time or withdraw from university completely. This could be due to academic, emotional and family/relationship issues or financial and medical concerns, or it could be that university is not for you or that the course is not what you expected.

Interrupting or withdrawing does have implications and it is important to understand the impact of your decision. It could be that you are able to continue with additional support in place or switch to an alternative programme, so take time to consider your options before making a final decision. You also need to be aware that interruptions can only be done at certain points of the academic year and needs to be with the agreement of the university although you can withdraw at any time.

First steps

If you are thinking about, interrupting your studies or leaving your course completely, please discuss your situation with your Programme Leader or Programme Support Officer in the first instance to discuss the academic implications of your decision. Once you have made a decision you will need to submit a form indicating your intention to withdraw or to interrupt your studies. If you are not sure who to speak to, please contact AskBU.

International students

If you are in the UK on a Student visa, BU is required to report to the Home Office if you interrupt or withdraw from your course. For more information on how this will affect your visa please read our immigration compliance page.

Please also consider the financial and accommodation implications

I have considered all my options and I would still like to interrupt/withdraw. What do I do next?

You will need to submit a form confirming your decision to interrupt or withdraw. This will then be processed by the university and your student status will be changed.

If you receive funding through Student Finance England (SFE), BU will notify SFE of your new status and they will contact you with any changes to your financial support.

Your access to university systems and support will also change as follows: