If you’re moving to BU halls or a UniLet house, check this helpful guide (pdf 200kb) which shows what is included in each accommodation. There is also a separate preparing to move here webpage going over how to collect your keys and what to bring with you for BU halls or a UniLet house.
If you're renting privately, contact your provider as they should be able to give you this information too.
The best advice we can offer is to not over-pack and consider how you are travelling to your new home... are there weight restrictions on your flight, will you be able to carry everything, do you really need it?
It’s likely your room is for single occupancy, with limited storage so stick to the essentials as you can always buy things once you are here. You are also likely to be sharing a kitchen and lounge space so shopping for items for these areas can be a good way to get to know each other when you arrive.
Here's our essential items list:
- Duvet, pillows and bed linen (or order a bedding pack from UniKitOut - see below)
- A towel
- Cutlery and crockery (enough for you!)
- Some pots and pans (some flats have induction hobs, we suggest that you bring suitable pans)
- Cooking utensils
- Tin opener and vegetable peeler
- A tea towel
- A warm winter coat and comfy shoes
- Enough clothes to make you feel good but not so many you have nowhere to put them
- Some photos or posters to pin to your notice board to make you feel at home.
If you are travelling from abroad, you don’t need to bring these items in your luggage. Local supermarkets and shops will stock everything you need, so you can buy them when you get here. You can find out more about what to bring in our blog.