Service unavailable until further notice. Please check Library services - January 2021 onwards for further information.
Alumni, library external borrowers and visitors can, where licences permit, access Bournemouth University Library’s electronic resources such as e-books, e-journals and research databases from a designated computer within the library buildings.
The service is only available Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.
Applying for walk-in access
You must apply in advance (at least 2 working days’ notice) each time you wish to use the service by completing an application form. Your request will be confirmed by e-mail. Access will normally be arranged for a maximum of two hours. By registering as a walk-in user you are agreeing to comply with the Acceptable Use Policy of the service. Please read this policy before you visit.
Using the service
Once your application has been approved by email, please bring with you on the day:
- Photographic ID (this can be your Bournemouth University Library card if you are already registered with us as an external borrower).
- Proof of current address (e.g. driving licence, utility bill or bank statement dated within the last 3 months).
You will not be able to use the service without providing this identification. We will not take a copy of your ID but we will verify that we have viewed it.
The service does not include printing. Please bring with you a portable USB device for saving resources if you wish to print at home later.
The service is accessible from:
|The Sir Michael Cobham Library
|Bournemouth House Library
19 Christchurch Road
- Resources may only be used for educational purposes. Use for commercial purposes is prohibited.
- The service is only available from a designated computer in each of the libraries listed above.
- Access to available resources will be via guest access to our Discovery product, or when this is not available, by direct links to the resources within the walk-in service.
- Due to access or licence restrictions, some resources are not available.
- Library staff can only provide minimal support to individuals using this service. Online help pages are provided for your use which we expect you to make use of.
- The service does not provide access to e-mail or Microsoft Office.
- You may download to your own USB device single copies of articles and other electronic publications for your own personal non-commercial use.
- Access to particular resources or access to the service may be withdrawn at any time.
You may not:
- Use the PC for any purpose other than accessing the resources provided under this service.
- View any website other than provided by the Library’s walk-in service.
- Pass downloaded or printed content to another person.
If you also wish to apply for reference or borrower membership you will need to provide a passport-sized photograph. A fee may be payable if you wish to borrow books. See How to join the Library for further details.
Access to Research in Public Libraries
Access to Research gives free, walk-in access to over 15 million academic articles in participating public libraries across the UK. Students and independent researchers can now access many of the world’s best academic papers from leading publishers who have made their journal content available for free. Please ask at your local public library or check the Access to Research website.