BU provides free Wi-Fi-style access at both Talbot and Lansdowne campuses. We are in partnership with a third-party supplier The Cloud, access their website for more information.
The Cloud will provide online support through their webportal page:
- At the bottom of the login screen click on about us
- Click on I am a Wi-Fi user at the top right of the screen
- Click on Support.
How do you connect?
- You can connect your mobile device to "_The Cloud" wireless network, from there your internet browser will load up and present you with a BU/The Cloud webpage, where you can either login or register if you are a first-time user. Once logged in/registered you will be connected to the internet. Note: some mobile devices may display a certificate error in the browser, in this case simply refresh you homepage.
- Download the mobile FastConnect app from The Cloud.
FastConnect is available for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Android devices:
- Register up to two compatible devices to connect automatically to unlimited free Cloud Wi-Fi hotspots in the UK
- No need to re-enter your username and password each time
- Find Cloud Wi-Fi hotspots near you
- Get the address of Cloud Wi-Fi hotspots
- Search for Wi-Fi hotspots whilst offline.
Restrictions applied to The Cloud wireless service
The service is only intended for light use, therefore:
- The Cloud uses a 50mb tunnel over the internet for all users of the service
- Bandwidth is restricted to 1mb per user.
Internet access is screened for appropriate content by The Cloud. The default content filter is:
- Adult/mature content
- Alternative sexuality/lifestyles
- Alternative spirituality/occult
- Extreme, hacking
- Illegal drugs
- Nudity, pornography
- Sex education
- Spyware effects
- Privacy concerns
The Cloud has responsibility for:
- End-user support
- User management
- Content filtering
- Illegal content downloading.
Visitors – eduroam
BU has deployed the eduroam service across all campus wireless access points.
The eduroam service provides internet access for visitors from other eduroam participating educational establishments, using login credentials from the user's home establishment. BU staff and students can also use the eduroam service on campus for internet access (although if you require access to your H Drive, printers or other internal BU resources you should use the BU–Staff or BU–Student networks).
- eduroam wireless communication is secure as it is encrypted during transmission. Note that communications over the internet are not secure unless you are using HTTPS or a VPN)
- Members of the university can use the eduroam wireless network on campus
- Members of the university can use the eduroam wireless network at other eduroam enabled locations around the world
- Visitors from other eduroam-enabled organisations can access the wireless network at BU.
Configure your device
Most devices will need some level of configuration before you can connect to eduroam (especially Mac devices), this must be done whilst on-site at BU before attempting to use eduroam at a remote location.
Please see below instructions:
N.B. Always remember to add @bournemouth.ac.uk (or your university's own address) at the end of your username.
For lists of other participating organisations visit the Janet eduroam (UK) information pages.