Bournemouth University has its own student lettings service called LettingsBU. We are a not for profit service and the only SUBU recommended lettings agency in the whole of Bournemouth. Our friendly lettings team are on hand to offer you advice and guidance to enable you to find the right property for you. Come and see us in the ground floor of Melbury House (BH8 8ES) and we can talk you through your options or alternatively make contact via our website.
Help and advice for renting privately
There are several key things you should be aware of if you are thinking of renting a property privately, including:
- References – usually your landlord will ask for UK references, although they may accept overseas references but this will be at the landlord’s discretion. If you are struggling to find a suitable referee then there are providers who you can approach that might be able to help: ukguarantor.com and Housinghand are both organisations that offer help to students in need of a referee (note, BU is in no way affiliated with these external companies and therefore is unable to formally recommend either).
- Rent – Expect to pay between £350-£450 per room per month. In some cases, your landlord or letting agent may ask for rent to be paid in advance. Again, this will be at the discretion of the landlord.
- Deposit – This will normally be one month to five weeks' rent and payable at the time of booking. Make sure you have money set aside to pay for your deposit. This should go into a secure deposit scheme to protect you and your landlord when your tenancy ends.
- Bills - These will not be included in your rent. Budget between £40 - £60 per month.
- Signing a contract – get someone who knows about private renting to check your contract before you sign it. Pop into the Student Advice Centre, which is run by the Students’ Union, to find someone who can help you.
We recommend that you watch our series of videos that provide helpful advice and guidance to those living in the wider Bournemouth community.
SUBU also has a lot of useful information about renting a property and staff at the Student Advice Centre can provide you with assistance on a range of issues relating to renting if you need it, so contact them if you’d like some advice.
When you're ready to start your search then our LettingsBU team are ready to assist.
Students looking for students
We have also set up a Facebook page to help students with spare rooms find housemates. You can go here and either advertise your room(s) or tell others that you are looking. It's a great way to speed up your search and exchange information.