Communications from BU
After we have offered you a place at BU, we will continue to use the contact details provided on your application to send you information related to your offer and your potential future study at BU.
Our Admissions team will contact you as necessary for the conduct of the admissions process.
We also like to keep in touch with our offer-holders. We want to send you information, e.g. about the course you’ve applied for or events which may be interesting or helpful to you, remind you about key dates and offer support through the next stages of the Admissions process. However you can choose to opt out of receiving these communications which are not directly related to your offer and the admissions process.
The communications from our Admissions team will include information about the admissions process and the status of your offer and communications about any steps you need to take in relation to your offer (e.g. submitting information or evidence). These communications will usually be sent by email, but on occasion we may need to telephone you or send you an SMS message. You cannot opt out of these communications as we need to be able to contact you about your offer.
- Necessary in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, i.e. in order to apply our admissions process with a view to you entering into our student agreement and enable you to access other services
- Necessary for BU’s core public task as a university, operating an admissions process to ensure that places on higher education courses are offered to the most appropriate candidates
The additional communications we send you will include information about relevant events, messages to support you through the admissions process and information about steps you will need to take to prepare for student life and life at BU. Email is our main method of sending these communications, but we may also contact you by phone, SMS or post. You can decide to opt out of any one or more of these methods of communication by following links which will be provided with your offer letter, clicking the “unsubscribe” button on any email you receive from the address [email protected] or by emailing our Future Students team. However opting out of emails may mean that you miss out useful/important information: if you decide to opt out, we suggest that you check our website regularly for relevant information. Opting out of these additional communications will not affect our communications about your offer.
- Necessary for the legitimate interest of processing your application, ensuring you have relevant information about your potential future study at BU and ensuring you will be able to access relevant associated services.
- Consent: you have agreed to this processing (if you do not opt out).
Other processing of your information
We will share data about the offer with UCAS and with any agent representing you.
If your offer is conditional on completion of a pre-sessional English programme (PSEP), with your agreement we will share your name, contact details and information about our offer to you with our partner organisation Kaplan so that they can contact you with information about the PSEP programmes available at the Bournemouth University International College which is run by Kaplan (see above).
Our admissions policy recommends that if you have or may have needs for additional support with your learning or require other adjustments to enable you to access your course and associated assessments, then if we make you an offer you should directly contact our Additional Learning Support (ALS) team to discuss any specific support needs or potential needs and the support that will be available within BU. During the process of registering with the ALS service you will be given details on the way in which we will process your information. We will only process the data about your disability and support needs if you decide to give us the information and consent to this processing. The ALS team is the appropriate first point of contact for discussing all support and adjustment needs, even if these are not learning support needs as such (e.g. need for physical/premises adjustments).
We will process data in applications to identify applicants who have received an offer who have relevant music or sports qualifications, so that we can contact them with information about BU music and sports scholarships.
We will process information for immigration/visa purposes as described above.
The legal basis of this processing is:
- Necessary for compliance with a legal obligation on BU: our obligations as a student sponsor/licence holder under the immigration legislation and immigration law requirements with respect to holders of EU settled status
- Consent: you have agreed to this processing
- Necessary for the legitimate interests of administering your offer and enabling you to access the course and associated support at BU.